How deep do grass roots go?

I have read that some grasses (perhaps not our typical lawn grasses) send roots down many feet into the earth.
Can anyone confirm or refute that or refer me to a source of info about it?
Thanks. vince norris
prairie grasses do, as do some of the common taprooted weeds, such as dandelion, burdock or dock. That is why a mixed lawn tends to be healthy, those tap roots bring up nutrients, create vertical drainage channels, and generally make deeper topsoil. prairie grasses is something you don't need in a lawn, they are extremely coarse, thick, and no fun to walk on.
Thanks for the responses.
vince norris
vincent p. norris wrote:

You want "Tall Fescue", not red fescue or other ordinary types. It has worked well for me. Reference http://www.paulparent.com . Use the "Search this site" box in the upper right to search for "Tall Fescue".
Lofts "Rebel II" is 100% Tall Fescue. I believe Scotts has some also. Read the labels carefully.

Bermuda grass, 40 ft.
Saint Augustine grass, 80 ft.
Reference? the back of my mind, something I read somewhere and it stuck.
Charles wrote:

Wow! Are you sure you didn't mean inches?
Doing a quick Yahoo search, http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/bermuda_grass.htm says "...in drought situations the root system can grow 47 to 59 inches (120-150 cm) deep. Most of the root mass lies 24 inches (60 cm) under the surface" about Bermuda grass.
Also, according to http://floridaturf.com/bahia /, Bahiagrass roots go 8 feet deep.
HTH, Lisa
On 12 Aug 2005 10:11:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

and forgot it. Again it is just something I picked up along the way and would not attest to any accuracy beyond saying that it is the way I remember it.