House plants

Please help! I have recently bought a number of plants and small bushes for inside the house. The tips of the leaves have started to go brown on the ends. Is this because I am over watering them or under watering them? Thanks for your help. Karen1967

Reply to
Karen1967

More information needed. Can you provide the names of the plants?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Brown tips can indicate low humidity. This often happens on plants grown indoors when they really belong outdoors.

Over-watering and under-watering will both cause the plant to wilt.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Certain chemicals in your tap water can also cause the tips to go brown on some house plants. I either send my gallon jugs for refills with friends when they go to the mountains or pay .30 a gallon to refill with 'spring water' at the store. This cured the 'brown tipped leaves' for me. I only use untreated water for watering my houseplants and also in the mister bottle.

Reply to
Val

Be careful about the amount/frequency of water. Some plants resent being moved into a new environment, so there may be an adjustment period until you see new growth. Find the proper amount of light, water/humidity, temperature, soil for each plant. Check for insects/mites. I'm just wondering Karen, why you have not posted the names of the plants in question so we can help you better? Posting a picture link may help too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Currently I use tap water to water my indoor plants. I used to maintain 3 freshwater aquariums (each tank drained 50% each week) and that water was ideal for plants. City water has chlorine in it, not good for bacteria nor plants, but the chlorine leaves water that has been boiled or aged.

Reply to
Phisherman