hot house cucumbers

Good Day, Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers sold at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect. The wrapper says product of Canada. They are rather long and usually always sold individually wrapped in plastic. I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them in a greenhouse setting. Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice, K&TB

Reply to
Karla & Tom

Although you may find a variety with the words "hot house" in the name, it's besides the point. Get in touch with a company like Harris Seeds, who supplies professional growers. Here's a link to their cucumber page:

none of the seed descriptions help direct you to a variety that performs well in greenhouses, call the company. There *might* be issues regarding day length sensitivity that are not obvious in the descriptions.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Those are called European or English cukes. (I forget which, but it's one or the other.) They're parthogenic (or something like that -- they don't need to be pollinated by insects/wind).

You can buy the seeds through any good seed house. The seed is expensive and it's worth it.

Sorry I'm being so vague. My hay fever kicked into high gear today and I'm not a happy girl. We only have another 190 acres of hay to put up and my meds aren't working. (Yep, I'm whining.)

Jan 59N, 151W USDA Zone 3

Reply to
Jan Flora

I think I have read that these must also be protected from pollination by bees or other pollinators in order to keep them from developing seeds. Maybe they are wrapped in floating fabric or something to protect them. Their whole appeal is in the lack of seeds. I guess some people find that the seeds are what cause the burpiness cucumbers are famous for.

Reply to
presley

Are they the burpless cucumbers? I bet it would be like getting seeds for the seedless watermelons

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Huh, I've never heard that. One of the neighbors grows those cukes to sell at our Farmer's Market. I'll ask him. (Although I didn't notice any wrapped cuke plants when I was in his greenhouse a few weeks ago.)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

: Good Day, : Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers sold : at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect. : The wrapper says product of Canada. : They are rather long and usually always sold individually : wrapped in plastic. : I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them in : a greenhouse setting. : Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice, : K&TB

They are "English" cucumbers, which also have several other names. Check out

and then go hit the seed vendors.

Reply to
bob