Hot Here in NE USA

Just read a weather guy who wrote this hot dry spell may cause more damage than a hurricane. I look about my place and notice no color on trees¹s just a sort of malaise. Been watering by hand on things that get my attention. My small home made pond has been needing water more often. But and here is a something I've not seen before. I have two possums coming to the pond in daylight. One got caught in my leaf protection fiber fence. I freed him and with out a snarl he wandered away like drunken animal. I was thinking Rabid as I have never seen a possum here before 8:oo PM. Must be tough on our wildlife!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

William Wagner expounded:

It was in the high 80's last week with high humidity, just nasty for October. It finally rained early this morning, for the first time in weeks, my weather station registered .65". We need so much more! A huge catalpa tree down the street is all wilted, I've never seen anything like it.

Reply to
Ann

I thought I was going to drown getting out of the rink Saturday night. The puddles were ankle deep and on 93, the nuts were hydroplaning by me at stupid speeds.

I'd better go check the stuff I just moved and make sure they didn't lose all their soil.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Yea, it rained like hell up in Lebanon, Maine, too. It's been plenty wet up at that house, but not down here.

We ended up with .65" yesterday and another dribble of .07" today. It's supposed to rain off and on all week, but what we really need is a good daylong soaking. We're down over 5" still.

Ayup.

Reply to
Ann

We finally had rain here also....just not where we wanted it! The shower mixer/distributor "rained" in my wall about a week ago, and of course it ran down onto the carpet & under the vinyl...ugh!!!

We did have a bit of the other "rain" on Saturday night also...

Reply to
raeannsimpson

Observation on climatology. Cold fronts now and then generally go from north to south. The cold fronts used to be center of USA or slightly off center to the east when I was growing up watching the weather on TV. Now, they seem to have gone westward.

The whitetail deer in the last drought here were so skinny due to lack of food. Ribs showing etc. A couple of native live oaks were killed, by what, I do not know. The buzzards like to hang out on them sometimes. The drought was 3 years long. The recovery this year has been spectacular. Can't see any long term damage other than possibly those 2 live oaks. Hope this will be the case for your region of the country in the future. Dave

Reply to
Dave

They looked pretty good actually. I'd done a good job packing the soil around the peony and the yarrows looked ok.

I scratched up the soil pretty good on a path and moved some ground cover sedum; we'll see in the spring.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Oh no!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

With the dense fogs at night lingering until 9-10am and the 85F days my lawn has rusted. My shoes turned orange walking out to the garden and back! Yuck.

Jim

S Central PA

Reply to
McGerm

Ann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

not until the loggers are done! they couldn't get into the woods last winter because it didn't freeze. they're only able to cut now because it's so dry. even another inch of rain right now & they'll have to leave because it gets boggy & we can't afford to damage the sugarbush. we had a total of .75" here. NOAA says 100% chance of rain tonight. my weather station says clear... hmmm. lee

Reply to
enigma

Well, it poured here last night! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

enigma expounded:

Oh, OK, we'll let the rain hold off for you! :o)

.80 so far this week. It's drizzling. I hope your loggers are finished soon, I was out back digging in the new part of the garden (harvesting New England Potatoes, average 40 to 50 lbs each) and it's still very dry past 6" or so. This isn't doing the trees any good at all, yet.

Reply to
Ann

enigma expounded:

I forgot to ask - what kind of station do you have? Mine's a Davis Vantage Pro 2, it is fun and works well, but I still need to mount the anemometer.

Reply to
Ann

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C3321F63.6F3D4% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

it started raining shortly after i posted last night, but we only got .20". it was raining at .38"/hour for a while then slowed down to .13"/hour... can you tell i just got a new weather station? ;) total rainfall since Saturday is .98". i actually prefer this sort of slow rain because it doesn't cause runoff. it's slow enough to soak in. i cleaned out the shade garden area last week & put the 2 hostas, 2 of the astilbe & the 4 hellebores in. they look pretty happy. boy, were they rootbound (except the hostas because i cut the pieces out for you & a friend in WI). Boo planted one of the astilbes near the kitchen door. the soil there is really sandy, but it's shady & the daylillies didn't like it there. i ripped out the day lillies trying to take over the doorstep there & put the lady's mantle in there. i still will be pulling the lillies out between the stone steps for a while. i'm sure i missed a lot of the tubers. at least lady's mantle is lower growing & not so messy with dead flower stalks... however, it appears the slugs like it. never noticed that on my other one. lee

Reply to
enigma

Ann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oregon Scientific WMR968. i need to get the cover for the temperature & humidity sensor. the heavy dews we've had lately are messing up the humidity readings. everything is solar powered with battery backup. i downloaded the software to post to Weather Underground, but i need to get a long enough USB cable to reach my desktop from the computer. the one i have has an 18" cable, which just about reaches from the USB port on the front of the computer to the top of the case. i'm not really happy with the location of my anemometer. i think i'd like to move everything up to the roof. lee

Reply to
enigma

enigma expounded:

Mine is also solar powered, and wireless from the station to the datalogger in here. That's connected to the computer via a USB cable. There's a console up on top of the computer desk with all of the info digitally displayed.

I want the anemometer set up before I connect up the Weather Underground. I do love that site, the local radar is great, and another guy has a station less than four miles from me, so he's mo local weather for now

Mine's going on top of a huge trunk I left up when we took down the trees. Extended with a mast it should be about 45' in the air.

Reply to
Ann

NWS usually wants rain accumulation to be recorded midnight to midnight for the day. Rain for the year is measured from July to June regarding annual rainfall. But, reported January to end of December on most TV weather regarding annual rainfall. (???)

Always wondered how rain accumulation is measured removing variables between measuring stations for comparisons sake. There is discrepancy between verticality of measurement location, wind discrepancy by location, immediate high precipitation variance within a given location, affect of topography and tall buildings on a given rain gauge, and so forth that all affect the total accumulation of rainfall measured in a rain gauge.

A simple example is a live 5 miles from a small town which the NWS has rain reports from. The small town may have no rain and I may have .6 inch. Am sure there was rain somewhere inbetween, possibly including resident of that small town.

A exaggerated example of topography and adjacent tall buildings, I have 2 rain gauges mounted whose entry mouths are about 3 inches below the top of a pole where rain enters each gauge. One is on the south end, one on the north end. The rain accumulation is directly attributable to the rainfall on each rain gauge if north or south wind. Less so on the downwind side.

A rain gauge whose mouth is not in direct path of such obstruction is not measuring true rainfall accumulation during heavy winds compared to a rain gauge on the leeward side of an obstruction. Rain in the former rain gauge is being blown about at the mouth of the rain gauge, much more than the latter. "Common sense" may say otherwise. So, I rethink high wind and hurricane areas regarding rainfall reports from NWS and TV stations. They are probably higher in reality. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
fran

Wish I could! I caught a cold over the weekend. Between being too tired and cold rinks, I think getting soaked Saturday night pushed me into a nasty head cold. More rain here and I'm got to go grab some trade plants for Lee. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

"Dave" expounded:

Here's an interesting page on rain data innacuracies (such as what you've described above):

along the line I read about the discrepancies between manual rain gauges and the rain gauges on our stations. The manual ones are more accurate, but you can calibrate your station to be closer to the manual. I've got a manual out there near the rain gauge on the station just to keep it honest.

Reply to
Ann