Hot Here in NE USA

Page 1 of 2
Just read a weather guy who wrote this hot dry spell may cause more damage than a hurricane. I look about my place and notice no color on treess just a sort of malaise. Been watering by hand on things that get my attention. My small home made pond has been needing water more often. But and here is a something I've not seen before. I have two possums coming to the pond in daylight. One got caught in my leaf protection fiber fence. I freed him and with out a snarl he wandered away like drunken animal. I was thinking Rabid as I have never seen a possum here before 8:oo PM. Must be tough on our wildlife!
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

It was in the high 80's last week with high humidity, just nasty for October. It finally rained early this morning, for the first time in weeks, my weather station registered .65". We need so much more! A huge catalpa tree down the street is all wilted, I've never seen anything like it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I thought I was going to drown getting out of the rink Saturday night. The puddles were ankle deep and on 93, the nuts were hydroplaning by me at stupid speeds.
I'd better go check the stuff I just moved and make sure they didn't lose all their soil.
Cheryl

Yea, it rained like hell up in Lebanon, Maine, too. It's been plenty wet up at that house, but not down here.
We ended up with .65" yesterday and another dribble of .07" today. It's supposed to rain off and on all week, but what we really need is a good daylong soaking. We're down over 5" still.

Ayup.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On 10/9/07 7:20 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

around the peony and the yarrows looked ok.
I scratched up the soil pretty good on a path and moved some ground cover sedum; we'll see in the spring.
Cheryl
expounded:

not until the loggers are done! they couldn't get into the woods last winter because it didn't freeze. they're only able to cut now because it's so dry. even another inch of rain right now & they'll have to leave because it gets boggy & we can't afford to damage the sugarbush. we had a total of .75" here. NOAA says 100% chance of rain tonight. my weather station says clear... hmmm. lee
On 10/9/07 9:16 PM, in article Xns99C4D87CC3541enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Well, it poured here last night! Cheryl

it started raining shortly after i posted last night, but we only got .20". it was raining at .38"/hour for a while then slowed down to .13"/hour... can you tell i just got a new weather station? ;) total rainfall since Saturday is .98". i actually prefer this sort of slow rain because it doesn't cause runoff. it's slow enough to soak in. i cleaned out the shade garden area last week & put the 2 hostas, 2 of the astilbe & the 4 hellebores in. they look pretty happy. boy, were they rootbound (except the hostas because i cut the pieces out for you & a friend in WI). Boo planted one of the astilbes near the kitchen door. the soil there is really sandy, but it's shady & the daylillies didn't like it there. i ripped out the day lillies trying to take over the doorstep there & put the lady's mantle in there. i still will be pulling the lillies out between the stone steps for a while. i'm sure i missed a lot of the tubers. at least lady's mantle is lower growing & not so messy with dead flower stalks... however, it appears the slugs like it. never noticed that on my other one. lee <Barnes & Noble, around 9:15 tomorrow morning?>
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

Here's an interesting page on rain data innacuracies (such as what you've described above): http://www.onerain.com/includes/pdf/whitepaper/InconsistentRainGageRecords.pdf
Somewhere along the line I read about the discrepancies between manual rain gauges and the rain gauges on our stations. The manual ones are more accurate, but you can calibrate your station to be closer to the manual. I've got a manual out there near the rain gauge on the station just to keep it honest.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Send some of that to us down here in NC, please! We're under extream drought conditions, where it has rained all of twice in 4 months for a grand total of 1". Cattlemen are selling off thier herds 'cause they can't feed them on withered pastures.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 06:19:15 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Wish I could! I caught a cold over the weekend. Between being too tired and cold rinks, I think getting soaked Saturday night pushed me into a nasty head cold. More rain here and I'm got to go grab some trade plants for Lee. C
On 10/10/07 11:04 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Ugh...summer/fall colds are the worst! Feel for ya! As a side note...I'm quite happy to report that the plants you sent me have survived the drought so far! Scabosia & allium are both flowering. Was touch and go with the rudbeckia awhile, but it seems to be holding it's own.
Rae
fran wrote:

I wonder if anyone might be considering the feasibility of selling off some of the sheepeople of Wake county in order to reduce the demand on the dwindling water reservoir.

Here in the Sampson/Duplin/Bladen/Cumberland areas, most 'sheep- people' have already started selling their sheep. Or they have already sold them all. Same goes for cattle and goats. Noticed on a classified site (craigslist.org) that several truckers have volunteered to bring back hay from the mid-west after they've finished their long-hauls. People are reserving the hay in advance like crazy. Not that I can blame them. Our horses & cows seem to like the 'corn-stalk' hay very well. However, we are saving it for later in winter. Most farmers around here are ok with the hay farmers baling the cornstalks, but no farmer has agreed for anyone to use the meager soybean crops for hay. The FSA/AG depts. as well as the Farm Bureau Credit Union have been requesting that farmers who also have livestock use their soybeans as hay. Not seeing that happen yet. They are holding out with hopes that soybean prices will soar over the winter and in to next year. We've had several prospects for peanut hay later...but not much in the way of peanut crops around here either. We are trying to hang onto the cattle, but may start selling off some horses, not that we'd get anything near full price (worth) for them. I want to hang on to them as long as I can...rather keep all of them (cows & horses) during hard times than wind up selling them to go to the meat market...

Oh, please...I've been asking them to send us rain all year...hasn't worked yet... I guess we're gonna have to pay frag to come down and do a special spit turtle thing...LOL!

Oh, OK, we'll let the rain hold off for you! :o)

.80 so far this week. It's drizzling. I hope your loggers are finished soon, I was out back digging in the new part of the garden (harvesting New England Potatoes, average 40 to 50 lbs each) and it's still very dry past 6" or so. This isn't doing the trees any good at all, yet.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I forgot to ask - what kind of station do you have? Mine's a Davis Vantage Pro 2, it is fun and works well, but I still need to mount the anemometer.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
expounded:

Oregon Scientific WMR968. i need to get the cover for the temperature & humidity sensor. the heavy dews we've had lately are messing up the humidity readings. everything is solar powered with battery backup. i downloaded the software to post to Weather Underground, but i need to get a long enough USB cable to reach my desktop from the computer. the one i have has an 18" cable, which just about reaches from the USB port on the front of the computer to the top of the case. i'm not really happy with the location of my anemometer. i think i'd like to move everything up to the roof. lee

Mine is also solar powered, and wireless from the station to the datalogger in here. That's connected to the computer via a USB cable. There's a console up on top of the computer desk with all of the info digitally displayed.

I want the anemometer set up before I connect up the Weather Underground. I do love that site, the local radar is great, and another guy has a station less than four miles from me, so he's mo local weather for now <G>

Mine's going on top of a huge trunk I left up when we took down the trees. Extended with a mast it should be about 45' in the air.