Hostas-good time to split?

Is there a right or wrong time to split large hostas into smaller sections and replant?
Thanks,
In my experience, hostas are pretty tough to kill. I've divided and abused them in the dead heat of summer, only to have them come back bigger and better the next year. I suppose the ideal time to split would probably be springtime when the leaves are still rolled up, but I wouldnt worry too much.

Some of my hostas got "split" by default when my neighbor put in a new fence. During the construction, some of them lay on the ground and others lived in a plastic tub with inconsistent watering for about a month. They also got some over-spray from the wood preservative that my neighbor applied to his new fence. I replanted them after the fence was done, and they are doing just fine. They act like nothing happened! Prior to this, I had no idea that hostas were so tough!