Hosta question

I was at a baby shower and they had hostas planted in the front of the building. I have never seen such big leaves on a hosta. they were enormous! They didn't know the name of the hosta. does anyone know of any varieties of hostas with such big leaves, and if you do, where I can buy them? Thanks for any help...
Since there are literally hundreds of large leafed Hosta cultivars in a wide range of colors and you didn't describe the plant in any detail, it could be anything.
Let us know what you find.
http://www.hostalibrary.org/index.html

The largest site I know of for hosta varieties is www.plantdelights.com . You can browse their pages.
Andrew

There are many large hostas. One of the more common large ones in this are is "Sum and Substance." Elegans can also be large. Although the individual leaves are not huge, I have a Krosa Regal that is enormous - over four feet high and about five feet across. Hostas tend to reach a mature size and form if left alone (that is, not divided) for more than five years.
Hi and thanks for the responses to my question about the large leafed hosta that I saw. I should have specified that I didn't care what variety of hosta I wanted, I just wanted to buy any type of hosta as long as it had very large leaves like the one I saw. thanks for the information you gave me. I will look at the sites you suggested and maybe find one there..thanks again!

The Hosta Library that was referenced is an excellent resource.
The most popular of the giant leaf hostas is 'Sum And Substance'.
I have several clients that have hosta websites so you may wish to check my hosta links at http://thegardensite.com . I also sponsor two hosta forums where you may find more information from hostafiles.
Bobby
This thread reminds me of another question I have about hostas. I have a bed of hostas on my property line. About two weeks ago, my neighbor replaced his privacy fence and in the process of applying preservative to the new wood, some over-spray drifted onto the leaves of my hosta plants. I think he used some kind of oil-based stain on his fence, although I'm not sure exactly what it was. So far, the leaves look ok, although they are obviously spotted with the preservative. Does anyone know if this will cause any permanent damage to the plants? It seems to me that hostas may put up only one set of leaves per season, so I doubt that any new leaves will appear. Thanks for any info you might have. Gary

on hostas without any consequences. I find that hostas tend to grow in three stages over the year. the first stage consists of sending up new leaves in the spring, predominately from the periphery of the plant. These leaves mature and then the stems elongate somewhat, opening the center of the plant. After that, new growth emerges from the center of the plant. Towards fall, there is new growth at the outside edge of the hosta. That is my observation, but others may have a better understanding. I do think that if you cut off all the leaves, new ones would emerge.
Agreed. I think you can do just about anything to them and they'll bounch back. It's still early in the year. I've had mine run over by car, bike, and 3 year old, apparently made love to by neighborhood cats, raccoons, squirrels, and accidently hit with driveway asphalt sealer amongst other things including my 18 mo. old "watering" them personally. God bless 'em hostas.
Vox Humana wrote:

Thanks, Vox & Merle for your replies. Sounds like my hostas will be just fine. I didn't realize they were such tough plants. Regards, Gary
Talk about being tough.My friend told me he cuts them off at the end of the fall with his lawn mower and they come back biger in the spring.

They always come back bigger in the spring.

Were they lighter green? Sum and Substance is very large-leafed.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts