horse manure

my landlord offered to bring some horse manure so I can use in the flower beds and the bare spots in the lawn. Is it ok to use horse manure instead of cow manure? How should I mix it (if necessary at all) and when should I do it (fall or early spring)?
FayeC zone 5a

Horse manure is best hot composted--while it has fertilizer value, Due to the horses diet and digestive system the manure may contain some or a lot of viable seed which can sprout as weeds in your garden. Hot composting will destroy most of the seeds

talk about newbie......I have no clue what a hot compost is..... The horses are stabled (race horses). If he brings the manure fresh, is there anything I can do in my yard to "cure" it?
FayC zone 5a

(if
the
viable
most
I've used mushroom compost which most of it is composted horse manure. When it was delivered on my driveway, it was hot and steamy. I regretted putting it on my lawn as the following year I got all kinds of strange weeds, some were a lot of work to remove. I use processed fertilizers such as Milorganite or pellitized chicken manure which has no weed seeds and it is easy to apply with a broadcast spreader. Put your fresh manure in 3 or 4-foot diameter wire bins and allow it to rot for 6 months, turning it every 2 months.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:59:49 -0400, "Faye Tarzwell"

stuff--grass clippings vegetable garbage anything organic that is vegetable in nature-then more manure then more stuff etc The fermentation will make the pile hot--go to the web and look up composting to learn how to manage your copmpost heap
the post form Frank is dead on!,, however "if" the horse is stabled Vs pastured,, the stabled horse manure is less likely too to have "bad" weeds,, Ed's 2c,,, :-)

(if

flower
it
Faye Tarzwell wrote:

Unless this is COMPOSTED manure, I'd say 'don't' . . . horse manure right out of the critter is full of undigested seeds just waiting to sprout in your flower beds.
Chris Owens