Horse apples?

Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available commercially? There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in many years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour tasting, but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told me she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place. She said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to have one of these trees. TIA for any info.
Gloria
In article <bffm55$ec89b$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-115464.news.uni-
:) There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in many :) years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour tasting, :) but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told me :) she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place. She :) said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to have :) one of these trees. TIA for any info. :) :) Gloria :) :) :) :) --- :) Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. :) Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ). :) Version: 6.0.500 / Virus Database: 298 - Release Date: 7/10/2003 :) :) :) Search for Bois d'arc tree...Bodark Tree...Osage orange. Don't think I ever heard of anyone eating them
--
We child proofed our home,
but they are still getting in.

Bois d'arc is not an apple and it's not edible. It does make a good fence post or floor beam. ;-)
Look for an old apple variety called "Wolf River." I'm not sure, but I think that's what yur looking for.
Bob
Gloria wrote:

Sounds like something that goes well with cow pie.

I'm sorry if this sounded like a frivolous post....it wasn't. This type of apple tree does exist and is a very large, beautifully shaped tree. It grows very large, green apples that are extremely sour or tart eaten raw, but are wonderful cooked. I don't know why they're commomly called "horse apple".
Gloria
the large tart apple for cooking we have is a Greening. INgrid

heirloom apple variety. You can make a pie out of one apple. Is that the one?
My pop had a tree in his backyard, in the Mother Lode in California. There were only two of those trees in town, and some yuppiescum bought the other place and pollarded the other tree. =:-O
If you know how to graft, I can try to get you some scionwood from that tree in Archie's yard. I have no idea how available that variety is commercially. I live in Alaska now (and grow apple trees up here), but I'm still way into saving old heirloom fruit varieties, when I can. (Boycott "Red Delicious." They suck.)
If you don't know how to graft, I'll come to your house and teach you. Or you can get your local Cooperative Extension dude/dudette to teach you. It's easy.
Jan
Thanks, Jan! I never thought of searching for "heirloom varieties". It does sound like your "Twenty Ounce Pippin", you can make a deep dish pie from one apple, but it is very green and very tart, too tart to eat raw. I think I have found it by searching for heirloom apple trees! Thank you for your help!
Gloria PS. When are you coming to my house? :-)

I Googled on
"horse apple" tree
and found many references. This one looked promising:
http://www.isons.com/trees.htm#crabapple
Evidently, 'horse apple' is also a common name for Osage orange.
Thanks! I may have some good pies next year!
Gloria

We used "horse apple" to mean horse turds. :-)
yeah, I know, but that ain't it...thanks anyway....:)
Gloria

Are you sure you are not looking for one of many varieties of (hard) cider apples? There are a dozen tart cider varieties that would fit the bill (mostly used for cider, but they cook well too). I myself sampled a dozen different cider varieties, all growing wild, in Beaver Island, Michigan.
No, I'm not sure....all I know is the lady called it a "horse apple tree" and the apples were very big, green and extremely tart. Thanks for your help.
Gloria

http://www.apples-ne.com/newapplevarieties.html
http://www.sagesapples.com/applevarieties.htm

Here in GatThe trees are available from farmers in north Ga. http://www.agr.state.ga.us/html/farmers_consumers_market_bulle.html is the site for the Georgia market bulletin in which you can usually find several ads for "Horse" apples doing the late fall and winter, It is an older variety which as some folks would say only fit fro feeding to horses. Of course many of the older trees are probably seedlings.
Thanks, FarmerDill, I found that site to be very interesting, and I also found someone who has these trees for sale. I'm a happy camper!
Gloria

snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote in message wrote:

that's what i thought Gloria was talking about.. not cow pies but horse apples which used to occur behind the "vegetable man" as he came through the neighborhood with his horse and wagon selling produce. Grandpa would call me to the window, point, and tell me that the sparrows where picking at my little cousins, meaning the horse droppings. AKA horse apples, horse dumplings.. he really liked me but liked to tease! hehehe... i think! love, leona
not cow pies but horse apples which used to occur behind the "vegetable man" as he came through the neighborhood with his horse and wagon selling produce. Grandpa would call me to the window, point, and tell me that the sparrows where picking at my little cousins, meaning the horse droppings. AKA horse apples, horse dumplings..
Right on. We used to call them (California, 1950s) "road apples."
Leslie
zemedelec