Hornbeam Tree Disease ?

I planted 4 young hornbeam (Carpinus betulus) trees in my garden, approx 4 months ago. I noticed several weeks ago a sticky surface on the leaves, which is now dry, but the leaves have what appear to be a sooty black mould covering them. The leaves are not dropping, but it looks unsightly, and im concerned it may affect the trees in the future. When it rains it washes some of the mould off, but then it reappears, any ideas ? thank you

Reply to
ian

The "sticky stuff" is honeydew,the excrement produced by aphids. Sooty mold grows on honeydew. It will not impact the health of the tree but the aphids may. You can hose them off with a strong stream of water. Repeated aphid infestations may require the use of a pesticide. sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555