Hops

Anyone tried growing their own hops for brewing? I'm in Scotland and haven't heard of anyone growing them around here.

Thanks,

Floyd

Reply to
Floyd

From what I know of the climate in Scotland, I am thinking some variety of hops will grow nicely their. It certainly grows well here in Wisconsin in the USA... and we get similar weather in many parts of the state.

Later,

Thad

Reply to
thad01

I dont know what your weather is like, but when I was stationed in Germany, they grew a lot of them. I was at Hof/Saale near the E. German/Czech border.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

The message from snipped-for-privacy@tux.glaci.remove-this.com contains these words:

Scotland is a maritime climate, wetter and milder in both winter and summer than Wisconsin. It's the windiest part of the UK (not ideal for tall frames).

It has long dark winters, cool wet summers and a short growing season. Although hops will survive here, (the golden leaf one is often grown as a garden ornamental) they aren't grown for brewing in Scotland because the short growing season doesn't guarantee flower ripening.

Janet (Scotland)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Weather in Wisconsin varies greatly across the state. The northern area has harsher winter than the southern, and the eastern part is greatly effected by lake Michigan. I live in the south eastern part of the state, which tends to cooler and wetter because of the lake effect. Not a perfect match to Scotland perhaps, but probably more like it than other parts. Hops do well here, so I suspect some variety would also do well there... though I admit it is an educated guess. Just be sure to pick a variety with an early flowering period and plant it next to a south facing wall.

It is worth a try at least. Good luck.

Thad

Reply to
thad01