Honeysuckle madness...

I am in the midst of removing some overgrowth on a slope in my backyard. Previous owners let the hill go crazy. After removal of some large yucca trees the remaining honeysuckle (which the yucca supported) looks woody and bare... It grows through the border fence from my neighbor's side and looks horrible.
My question is two fold. First, the roots/base are on his side and the plant curves through the iron fence into my yard (roots/branches), about a foot and a half in and 10 feet up, then the crown leans back into his yard. Can I cut the branches and roots back to the property line? Really my intention is to replace the overgrown trees and shrubs with new landscaping and restore privacy (eventually). The neighbor wants the tree left as is. I want to accommodate but I also want my property unfettered by this honeysuckle. Trouble is if I cut the tree where it encroaches on my property it will take down the bulk of the tree... However, the bulk of the tree *is* in my yard.
Second, the woody portions of the honeysuckle that support the leafy crown, will it grow leaves on it disguising the brown woody mess with leaves and flowers? I would be inclined to leave the tree if it did not look so messy and brown.
I live in Southern California...
Thanks,
Harison
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

local law say about your neighbors plants encroaching on your property? Where I live if it's on my side of the property line I have the right to cut off that which is encroaching. Neighbor's wishes not withstanding. Either look it up on line or ask a lawyer, then do what is allowed.
George
In article snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

Regardless what the law allows, pissing off a neighbor is rarely a good thing in the long run.
Are you saying that the tangle of honeysuckle roots are on his side and yours? And it's like a viney tree? If you trim back the vines they should resprout. You might want to just try a few first. If you trim it back too much all at once you could kill the tree / vine. It sounds like trimming it all back the way you want might be too much for the plant.
As a short term fix you could plant some annual vines like sweet peas or nasturtium to fill in the bare parts.
good luck Laura
up here cutting it to the ground without removing the roots is called renewal pruning. honeysuckle will come back lush from ground level stump. Ingrid