Honda hrb425c mower

I have just bought a second hand mower and it is spot on apart from th
self drive function is not working properly. If you lift the rea roller in the air and engage the drive the roller will turn but when o the ground it hasnt enough power to push the mower forward. the mowe cuts fine and apart from the self frive runs perfectly fine.
Any one else had this problem and fixed it
cheers
da
-- dancuprar
You may just need a tuneup on the engine, if low power is the issue. Check the plug and air filter for a possible quick fix.
dancuprar wrote:

as far as i can tell the power is not the issue the mower cuts fine an
sounds to be running at the right revs
-- dancuprar
Most self-drive mowers that I'm familiar with use a belt to transfer the power from the motor shaft to the gearbox for the front wheels. Lack of drive usually means the belt is slipping and needs tightening or replaced.

My experience is just the opposite, all those I've owned employed a pressure clutch... but then it's been many years since I've owned a self propelled push mower... if you've enouhg lawn to require self propelled you're much better off with a riding mower.... self propelled are just too darned heavy to use in the push mode, sand there are always lots of instances when self propelled can't be used. Self propelled also breaks down much more often, I wouldn't own another.
I've recently noticed that push/self-propelled mowers aren't nearly as nicely engineered functionality-wise as they used to be... they are all so darn heavy and so cumbersomely bulky. Years ago I could buy a light weight 18" rotary with an aluminum deck (some even magnesium)... I don't think anyone makes less than a 21" width anymore and they are all of steel, very heavy and the decks unecessarily high. I recently decided I wanted a narrow lightweight mower for mowing between the plants on the sloping banks of my small creek... can't find one anywhere.