Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Can't take the wagon out much around here - all the big rigs would run over us! Can ride the horses though. My husband has been known to "ride" thru the local Hardee's drive thru. Gets lots of laughs about that. There is a town here in NC called Love Valley. No cars are allowed there - horses & mules only!
On Wed, 30 May 2007 23:45:07 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

I'll be damned. In Indiana?
Nothing like a small town. Sounds like the town I grew up in, sans horses in town.
My sons both live about ten miles away, in a town of 250 or so (raised them boys right, we did! They don't care much for the bright lights and fast pace either) The town council went and got uppity, thinking, I guess that they were a suburb of our town of about 10 grand, and passed an ordinance banning any livestock. Elder son has an acre and a half in town and was considering a Jersey and chickens. Screwed now.
Charlie, Dodgin' the occasional buggy

If you run across anyone named "Flora" in Indiana, they're probably kin to me. My g.g. Uncle John Flora founded the town of Flora, Indiana. My family back there is Mennonite. (And Swiss-German.)
Grandpa Flora grew up horse farming back there. I come by these tendencies to garden, farm and raise livestock honestly : )
Jan in Alaska
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Cool. I'm not from Indiana and have only been here five year so I'll have to look up where that is.

Not bad heritage, is it? I'm a farmer at heart but grew up in a city. I keep trying to talk farmers into letting me run their heavy equipment under the guise of "helping them" but, really, I just want to be a farmer driving a big ol' John Deere.
FragileWarrior@f'loonsmustdie.com says...

"HorseS" - plural? That sounds like it is the kind of town that would only have one horse.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Well, two of them can fit in my Neon so maybe it's like a one and 2/3 horse town...
On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

After I left the bright lights and tall buildings behind, I spent several years going broke by helping the local farmers and doing other odd work, like cleaning chimneys (like that wasn't hazardous). This was in the area in which I grew up.
One older farmer I regularly helped work cattle, still kept a team of Belgians and would always work about ten acres of corn with them along with giving the neighbors sleigh rides in the winter. It was *so* peaceful watching them and hearing only the squeaking of harness and implements. Nothing to drown out the sound of everything else in the vicinity.
For sure, it would have been hard work, but I think that was better than today's alternative. And healthier.
Care, and thanks for bringing this to mind Charlie
On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

I could not agree more. I bet those were much easier times to live. Now we have cereal aisles with ten thousand different cereals. When I was a kid there was Kellogs Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Shredded Wheat and Farina! Well, more than that, but certainly not an aisle full of postured, product placement. It's mind boggling.