Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Page 3 of 7
the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried is what made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes being offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that remove CO2 from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes it from the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever. Limestone is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make limestone bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.
and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Yeah. You are right. But "bottom line" people will see that this costs them money. They will be dragged to environmentalism, kicking and screaming. Countries that don't clean-up will get more energy per pound (gallon, whatever), which will put us at a disadvantage (so the spin will go). The biggest bang for our buck that we can get RIGHT NOW is conservation. The $10,000,000 the the knuckle head at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. wants (and sadly, so does Obama) to put into energy savings from ethanol (which will be grown with petroleum) can be had for $3,000,000 and change by conservation.
The thing with fission power is (besides the massive problem of it's waste, even in fast breeders) is that workers exposed to radiation pass their injuries on to the following generations. If a coal miner gets black lung, the injury dies with him. I know. It's a pretty cold calculus.
If we could reduce CO2 and wait 30 years, there should be fusion reactors which will be infinitely safer than coal or fission.
In the meantime conservation, water power (including tidal), wind power and, photovoltaic could buy us time.

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable. You could be the next multi-billionaire...
:-)
It really is not that hard to make Hydrogen. The trick is getting people to use it as a fuel, make it cost effective, and SAFE.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
I am not in the lab anymore. up to this point mother nature has been fooling with the light reaction center in plants that soak up the photon of energy and use it to break water (water is typically broken by running electricity thru a platinum wire). Chlorophyll is the best (so far) at doing this, but uses only blue and red light. It is the biotech people will start fooling with the reaction centers of chloroplasts to stick them into a synthetic membrane and/or make a better photon grabber. Maybe layer several different reaction centers that absorb across the whole spectrum so they are more efficient.
hook this up with some extremely high efficiency lights over the membranes (light the flashlights that have a little generator in them) and no need for solar light. maybe have the choice of cranking it up to get it started, or, a good battery.
Ingrid

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money. There is no reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record profits the last three years in a row. It's disgusting, along with the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the attachment to it,etc.

Only half-way. It really IS easy to make Hydrogen. It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.
The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy. They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the rules. :-(

Both true.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to hear us :o(
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

AMEN!

They would if we could (somehow) quit buying gasoline, but how many of us can do that?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
well.... we have one sports car, one gas efficient mazda and a trailer for when we need to haul stuff instead of an SUV or van. we moved into the city and DH is now 1 mile from work, I am 5 miles. no more big commutes. we shop locally and I mostly buy online so there arent a lot of shopping trips. we dont do "car" vacations and long trips. our gasoline needs have really dropped. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

I can't move closer to work. It's not practical so I use close to 2 gallons per day during my commute.
But I make sure that I do most of my shopping on the way home from work as a slightly different route will pass me thru town on the way home, and shopping trips to Austin are severely limited.
I'm on vacation this week and won't be going anywhere. I have too much to do here anyway. ;-)
I also shop by phone somewhat before going out so I can make just one trip to one store.
I don't like to shop on line as credit card interest rates are too high so I limit their use to what I can pay off each month.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Get a debit card. No interest. We got one just for shopping online and on ebay. (We don't believe in credit cards.)
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

I do have a debit card.
It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the money is gone, it's gone.
Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

That depends. My debit card is a MasterCard, and it has all the protection of a credit card. And I've had to use that protection in the past, so I know it works.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Ok, that's good info, thanks! My debit card is a visa.
I'll have to talk to my bank. I am new to debit cards.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
expounded:

Mine is has the visa logo also. Any debit cards with a major credit card logo have the same perks as a credit without all the downfalls. or that's the way it works around here anyway. definitely check with your bank - but if you have the logo - you should be fine.
rae

Thanks again. :-)
I have managed to pay off all of my credit card debt and am trying to totally avoid using them at all. Interest rates are usery!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Before I retired I was a lawyer, and did some research concerning this.
The federal law that provides the protection for credit cards covered only credit cards.
I think the very similar protections given with debit cards, even those bearing a credit card logo, are given by the issuing institution, not by the law.
I believe that with using the credit card, the credit card companies hold a certain amount that has been charged against the merchant, rather than paying everything to the merchant right away, so it is fairly easy for the credit card company to return your money from this withholding, when a charge is shown to be invalid.
I don't know what the current procedure is with debit cards, but if recovery is under the control of the issuing bank, they may be more reluctant to make a final determination in your favor, if they don't have that cushion of money due the merchant, and they may not have the massive staff that the credit card companies maintain to deal with such situations.
I don't personally know anyone who has not gotten their money back from a debit card transaction, who deserved it. But at the same time, most of the people I know don't use a debit card (other than the ATM component).
As long as one can fully pay off what one charges on the credit card, I see no advantage to the debit card. In fact, since the debit card releases your money immediately, while the credit card usually has a rather substantial period before your payment is due, you can earn a little interest on your money by using the credit card (hardly enough to get rich on, though).
So I remain a little leery of using a debit card. particularly in a transaction that is not face to face. Perhaps eventually I will grow more accepting. Right now, I see no advantage to the debit card.
Ann wrote:

I will check with my bank tomorrow when they're open and post here what they say.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Ok, I checked with my bank (actually a federal credit union). They use the dispute reconciliation system set up by MasterCard, which is the credit card company that issues the debit cards. The credit union is responsible monetarily for reimbursing, etc. but MC 'polices' the process, so the same protection is extended to the debit card holder as a credit card holder. At least that is how it was explained to me. I don't really care who backs it up, as long as it is backed up - and it has been for me.