Home Depot politics

Page 4 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) in wrote:

and since neither sells lumber longer than 16 ft (or whatever), buy your lumber at lumber yards.

neither will get you a wolf :)
If a successful boycott really

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree says...

No, it's supported by its' customers, many of which are hard-working tradesman and building trades company owners, and stockholders, many of which are undoubtedly mutual funds, which, without doubt, many Liberals hold as part of their retirement plan.
So to say HD is supported by "rich Republicans" is pure bullshit.

Seems to me that you're making the (false) assumption that gardeners can't be conservative.
How very narrow-minded and bigoted of you. Just like a Liberal.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
says...> Seems to me that you're making the (false) assumption that

That's a peculiar conclusion. It seems like an advisory statement to me. "This is what I heard. If it bothers you then consider shopping elsewhere" It didn't preclude the possibility that someone would be conservative.

Pot, Kettle, Black.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Truth hurts, eh?
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
says...

Do you really not see your failure of logic here or are you just trolling?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

There's no failure of logic.
Now if you're insinuating that _I'm_ being narrow-minded and/or bigoted, then your "Pot, Kettle, Black" comment makes some degree of sense.
My point, however, is that Liberals have a penchant for calling Conservatives narrow-minded and bigoted (among other things) and yet Liberals are not only capable of having such mind-sets, but are actually more prone to it.
Liberals, however, deny (based on moral superiority) that they can even have such thoughts/motives.
Their actions, however, speak louder than their words.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Why is it peculiar? The OP made a point of stating that Mr. Banks is Republican and supports Republican politicians, and therefor gardeners (this IS a gardening forum, is it not?) should not shop at HD.

It was a statement of fact (albeit incorrect),not an opinion.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
says...

Statements of fact don't start with a disclaimer about hearing something second-hand from a friend The reason that your assumption is wrong is that nowhere did the OP say that if you were a liberal you shouldn't shop at HD. He/She only pointed out that you should consider the possibility that HD is a source of RNC funding and act accordingly - and only then if politics permeates your life. I'm sure that there will be a significant number of Republicans who don't vote for Bush this year. Some will simply stay home, others will leave the box for president blank, and still others will vote for another candidate. The Republican party has deviated away from reasonable conservative values into the land of NEO-conservatism, AKA, fascism. Not wanting to support Bush is not proof that your aren't conservative. In fact, it doesn't look like Nancy Reagan supports Bush and I sincerely doubt that a true conservative like Barry Goldwater would wipe his ass with the likes of Bush.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Sorry, won't wash. The OP made the statement that Arthur Blank is the CEO of HD. Factually incorrect.

Oh, come on! Insinuation DOES mean something. If it didn't, what in the world were all those speeches about for the last four days at the DNC?

"Reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder. You're simply stating an (your?) opinion.

Define "NEO-conservatism". Define "fascism". Are they really the same?

Since when is Nancy Reagan the arbitor of what Conservatism stands for?
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.

elsewhere"
Being one of those mean rich conservatives myself, I'd be more inclined to shop at HD if I really believed the initial premise that HD supports the Republican party. However, most big businesses butter both sides of the bread to help ensure their future regardless of who is in power; big bucks from HD have probably made it into the hands of the Dems too, it just may be hard to trace. I'm fairly confident Lowes does this too (no facts, just presumption on my part).
If one wishes to choose a store based on reasons other than price, quality, and selection of merchandise at each store (since the box stores are pretty similar in most aspects), I'd suggest a more positive approach. Reward the stores that help your community the most, and be very vocal about it so the store managers know why you're shopping there.
For example, although Wal-Mart has become a China-product outlet mall, the stores usually really make an effort to improve the communities they're in (I know, blanket statement that will have plenty of bad examples; but there are still plenty of parks and playgrounds that wouldn't exist if it weren't for organized Wal-Mart employees volunteering and putting out a lot of hard work). I know Lowes has received many non-monetary honorary awards for their hiring practices. Although Lowes doesn't have an official policy of hiring the disabled or handicapped, it seems they're far more likely than most businesses to hire those people who are often discriminated against elsewhere. I like that, so I lean toward shopping at Lowes, because I think they're doing the right thing by helping those who have a hard time getting hired anywhere. Lowes managers have said it's strictly good business on their part (less employee turnover saves bundles on training losses, happier stores bring return customers, etc.), but I say good on 'em for a history of good hiring moves and being decent human beings. Plus, unlike other companies that hire the disabled but then keep them hidden from the customers like they're hiding a disease, Lowes just mixes the disabled in with everyone else and doesn't try to hide them--they're just regular employees like everyone else. To some people with mental disabilities the whole concept of being treated the same as everyone else, being considered just an average American by others, can often seem beyond their reach; but Lowes has repeatedly proven it's not. (Search for the DC Melwood clinic article about Lowes if you doubt my words).
So from this crusty, mean-spirited, rich, grouchy, middle-aged male capitalist pig (never wore Birkenstocks in my life, probably never will; only hug a tree when I'm climbing into my deer stand; go ahead and stereotype me as you will), thank you Lowes and Wal-Marts of the world for trying to do the right thing while still making a buck and surviving the capitalist marketplace.
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:01:16 -0500, "Gary Kubat"
Another bullshit artist! Or do all rich conservatives drive '01 Caravans and have squeaks fixed by 10 minute lube?
ROFLMAO!!!!!
Shazam!
In my defense I rarely drive it--and it's my wife's van that she paid cash for when it was new.
I may have to go hug a tree now...

Now there's an oxymoronic statement for you!!
Personally, I don't see how anyone could object to this thread. OT or not, it's the best entertainment I've had in weeks! Didja ever notice how at the firt sign of a political statement or difference of opinion, folks seem to lose all ability at rational thought? But then politics tends to bring out the idiot in us all. How else can we explain away the last 4 years?
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:27:13 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

Heh. How about Home Depot as the incarnation of the Evil American Imperialist Empire, coming to Canada to outcompete local hardware companies, forcing the big boxization of several home grown chains like Reno Depot, Revvie, and ye old Canadian Tire Corp.? <grin>
It's not just about Republicans and Democrats, dontcha know.
Shirley Hicks, in Toronto
I liked Revy and Lansing, too. I feel worse about White Rose. HD isn't Can Tire's problem though, I've worked for Can Tire and boy, do they have inventory problems!
We've got our own evil imperialists, too. Remember Cruikshanks -- the wonderful folks who sold rare and premium bulbs on Mt. Pleasant? Besides, I only buy plants from Walmart and HD when they're marked for clearance. It's the thriftyness of customers that actually kills retail stores in Canada. Why am I so cheap? Because I am ... :)

On 28 Jul 2004 22:25:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pen) wrote:

Note: I was being flip in my original post.
I don't. Their stock was pretty middle-of-the-road, they were all over the map as to retail direction, and their prices were high for what they were selling. I've seen better from the independents at their price point.

Really? Pray tell.... (one of the co-workers is moving over to their flyer production department)

Yeah, I do. Got some nice stock from them. They were pricey - had things that no one else had.

Well, (eyes dancing) if you're _really_ cheap, you start your own plants from seed, and do most of your gardening with pass-alongs, and bits tossed over the fence from your neighbours. Oh, and pick nice hardy spreaders.
I have a weakness for Richter's. Plant World up on Eglington is _extremely_ dangerous to my wallet as they have luscious lovely, relatively rare stock (not to mention gorgeous pots, benches, and other garden frippery) For any canucks reading, www.icangarden.com has links to all those fine independent Canadian bulb and regionally specialized plant stock providers. Gardens North in Ottawa was seriously tempting too for many years.
Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario
opined:

I can explain it easily; Bush was not elected, he was appointed by his father's buddies. Cut, dry, pack it up.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Exactly how so?
What part of that statement is an oxymoron?
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Mark wrote:

Probably the part where David Duke, John Rocker and maybe Pat Buchanan invite Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima over for rice and pancakes.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@no.home.com says...

Hmmmmm.
Aren't You the stereotype king.