Home Depot politics

Page 1 of 4
Maybe this is much too off topic, but a friend of mine who is much more of a political animal than I am told me HD is heavily supported by rich Republicans such as Arthur Blank, the president of Home Depot, who hosted a dinner in Atlanta that gave Bush $2.5 million. So any of you whose whole lives, including gardening, are permeated with their political convictions might want to go to Loew's, etc. if you need to buy at a big chain store. zemedelec
Zemedelec wrote:

It is and it shouldn't be posted here. There are dozens and dozens of political groups. Post your views in one of them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

No, post them here too. Nobody moderates this newsgroup.
escapee wrote:

Even though it is true that nobody moderates this newsgroup all posters should stick to the topic of this newsgroup - GARDENS. If everyone starts posting ANYTHING they wish, soon there will be little or no discussion of gardens. Is that what you want? I have seen dozens of newsgroups destroyed because off topic posters took over the newsgroup. If we are not careful that could happen to rec.gardens
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
opined:

You must have bad luck. I have been posting to Usenet for several years and haven't seen a single newsgroup that doesn't have a fair amount of OT posts. Likewise, I haven't seen any newsgroup that was destroyed by such posts. Most people are smart enough to avoid posts that don't appeal to them. With judicious use of filters and killfiles you don't even have to see the posts. I don't know why people would suddenly lose interest in gardening because someone posted a politically slanted article about a store with a garden center. That seems as puzzling as all the people who claim that everyone would lose interest in marriage if it were make available to same-sex couples.
(snip)

Is THAT what they're claiming? I've been trying to figure out what they're talking about when they say "same sex marriage would "destroy" traditional marriage", since the people who say that don't seem capable of explaining what that is supposed to mean. :/
Heh?
Being that politics is of the essence, Home Depot and Lowes are both engaged in the same politics that the tobacco industry are engaged in...
Both companies are selling red mulch chips that are considered toxic in other countries and are banned from being shipped to many other countries. This only seems to be happening in the State of Florida where Jeb Bush has verbally expressed distaste about the fact, he wasn't the Governor when it started happening, but he does little else to do anything about it and I suspect he is taking bribes from Home Depot and Lowes the Red (CCA) Mulch industry. Jeb Bush speaks loudly against it but he does nothing else about it accept perhaps accept bribes.
Furthermore, the state of Florida is using CCA in their State and City parks where kids play on the swings and rides.
Just what is CCA ? It's a treatment used on wood which preserves the wood. And after a certain period of time, the CCA starts to break down and toxic levels of Arsenic become present.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/031101/State/The_poison_in_your_ba.shtml http://www.sptimes.com/News/042601/State/Arsenic_risk_baffles_.shtml
While some may think this is off-topic, it's the soil that is being poisioned. So working in the garden may develop into tingling sensations in the fingers or feet.
While Arsenic is a natural substance found everywhere in nature, it is not good for anyone to put a poisonous amount of arsenic into the environment.
And while the arsenic poisoning didn't start while Jeb Bush was in office, because I've looked and looked and I really want to blame it on Jeb Bush, the only thing I could come up with is that Florida Governor Jeb Bush only states its a bad situation and does nothing else. It's like George Bush drinking and doing cocaine but never admiting to it. :-) It's like Laura Bush going to Chip-N-Dales dances but never admitting to it. They have things to hide so they refuse to talk.
As far as I know CCA is used in building houses and other things and it is used quite extensively. But it seems as if it the arsenic breaks out of it's containment when exposed to the sun ? And there's a lot of sun in Florida and folks all over the state are complaining about numbness in their hands and feet after using CCA treated wood mulch bought from Home Depot AND Lowes.
Some other names that CCA treated wood goes by include: pressurized wood treated wood pressure-treated wood
Home Depot has refused to stop the sales of this wood. That was in the public broadcasts of local Florida tv news recently.
Doing some further research, any CCA treated wood will start to release highly toxic arsine gas when exposed to moisture.
Furthermore there is some more information about it available, here, indicating that CCA wood is being used in parks in different states as well... http://www.noccawood.ca/cgi-scripts/csNewsPro/csNews.cgi?command=viewnews&database A%20In%20The%20News%202003.db
The dangers are clearly present and the wood is banned by many countries and a growing number of countries.
The government is there to protect you, not poison you. Everyone needs to do something about this and prevent it from reoccuring. Contact your politicians, demonstrate outside of Home Depot and let them know that you want the right things done.
--
Jim Carlock
http://www.votetoimpeach.org /

and
posts.
With
posts.
because
everyone
they're
traditional
what
That's all I come away with. Rick Santorum keeps saying that some unspecified Scandinavian county adopted same-sex marriage and all the straight people stopped getting married. Of course there are no Scandinavian countries with same-sex marriage, only civil unions - an institution that even Rick Santorum says would be possible under the Federal Marriage Amendment. It reminds me of all the hysteria in the 1960's when civil rights laws precluded discrimination in housing and many people screamed that if you let blacks into your neighborhood it would be ruined. There are plenty of county clubs that are afraid to let women or Jews into the ranks for fear of ruination. I have never heard a rational argument to support any of these arguments.

That's because there aren't any.
Hal

I suppose 'same sex' marriage is the cause of over 50% divorce rate? Needn't worry about same sex marriage, those 'legally married' are doing a better job of tainting the meaning of 'marriage'.

Needn't
job
Agreed. I think that marriage is an institution that has changed with time and will continue to change. The religious right will tell you that for 5000 years, marriage has been between one man and one woman. However, the Bible details how people like David had many wives and even more concubines. Marriage wasn't even adopted as a sacrament of the Catholic Church until the Council of Trent in 1563. That makes it a rather new institution. The ultimate challenge to the stability of marriage is easy divorce, but no one proposes to prohibit divorce in the Constitution.
On 28 Jul 2004 22:31:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wishy13764) wrote:

Aw, c'mon. I was just getting ready to nominate Brittney Spears as the poster girl for the Sanctity of Marriage. ;)
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:31:44 +0000, Wishy13764 wrote:

Same sex is the problem with my marraige. It's the SAME SEX over and over and over...... :)
get free agent. click on message, filters, kill filter and the whole thread goes away. simple. Ingrid
Home Depot does have a garden dept...
opined:

How very authoritarian of you.
Next you'll be telling people what they can grow in their gardens.
Oh wait, you already do that.
Hal

In the eleven years I've posted to rec.gardens, that has never once happened. Newsgroups which were weak to begin with are more vulnerable. This newsgroup has many dedicated "regulars" who have been here for many years.
We have had off topic posts here since the beginning. This is the time in America where people are discussing the election, so I say it is perfectly okay to do that in an American newsgroup.
There are some here not in the U.S., but they are not that many.
escapee said:

An unmoderated news group should thus be moderated by the restraint of the posters. I have seen many newsgroups degenerate and become worhless due to off topic posting.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
DavesVideo wrote:

of the

due to off

They only become worthless if the off-topic posts are not easily identified, causing people who didn't care about them to waste time on them.
If a thread drifts off-topic, whether it be towards a political discussion or name calling, it ought to be re-named. That doesn't always happen. When on-topic threads constantly drift into off-topic areas with no change in the subject line, that's what ruins a newsgroup. For example, the discussions about gardening that turn into name-calling sessions with no new gardening content are more damaging to the usefulness of this newsgroup than this thread, which very obviously has "politics" in the subject line.
One can easily ignore well titled off-topic discussions even if they amount to 90% of the traffic in a newsgroup. But if the subject lines make it look like the discussion is on-topic, even though it's not, that can eventually make the group worthless. Well marked off-topic discussions only make the group worthless for people who have obsessive disorders that require them to read every message regardless of the subject line.
--
Warren H.

On 27 Jul 2004 16:52:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DavesVideo) opined:

You haven't been here very long. This newsgroup has never had such a thing happen. Not during its worst trolling stints.