Home Depot Nursery Consultants

Page 3 of 3

Gonna go just slightly off-topic here -- or actually go back on-topic, since it's a gardening-related comment :0) -- This year, when I was trying to buy cell inserts for my growing trays, I discovered that none of the big box outlets (HD, Rona, and the like) are selling straight cell inserts for around $1. Instead they are selling inserts that have been cut into 6 pieces (not very cleanly), wrapped with a light cardboard bit of packaging, and are being sold for $2.50. Who thought of that little gem, I wonder? Fortunately Art Knapps didn't buy into this gimmick.
Most of the bulbs in my garden came from those very sad forced bulbs that Home Depot brings in in the spring. I asked the manager and he gave me the most awesome deal (25 cents a pot). I bought the whole table (120 pots of straw). The bulbs are gorgeous!!! I was always a sucker for the dead and dying plants and have the most beautiful garden. I don't work in a garden center but I would never expect an employee of such places to know everything about everything. I am considered knowledgeable among my friends and co-workers but still have to go to the books when I am unfamiliar with a plant. I am not ashamed to say I need to look it up and tell them so! If you truly need information about a plant take a reliable book with you. I do. That way I can verify the validity of the information if I really want something unusual.
I worked in a Canadian HD for several years and it was difficult to get a good watering system going when the Manager of the Dept didn't know grass from a dandelion! It was sad and the losses were staggering. But one the ladies on the staff worked for the RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens) and you could ask her just about anything. If she didn't know she would look it up. It is hit and miss finding a knowledgeable person at any garden center. I always to get there when they are on break or lunch. My two cents worth.
--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid

I had the same issue with my HD here, my DH believe it or not was from bookeeping. He decided he wanted to move to another department, so he was moved to gardening of course. The sprinkler system we have for the plant is the result of me and another employee getting tired of throwing away $1000+ of plants and just installing some stuff from the hose and sprinkler isle. The plants look much better now and our customers have really noticed and commented about it. Some of us do care (even if we do make only $10 an hour).
wayne crimi wrote:

Let's face it: any of us could wind up as a Home Depot "nursery consultant" after being laid off.