holy crap- it worked!

eternal glory is mine! i sprouted a rose cutting under a mason jar!

photos include small green insect:

all have noooo idea how tempted i am to run out and gather clippings of every rose plant i have RIGHT THIS INSTANT. :D

car

Reply to
caterbro

eternal glory is mine! i sprouted a rose cutting under a mason jar!

photos include small green insect:

all have noooo idea how tempted i am to run out and gather clippings of every rose plant i have RIGHT THIS INSTANT. :D

car

Reply to
caterbro

The message from snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com contains these words:

Halleluiia, halleluiia :-)

Oh yes I do. It's almost as good as having babies.

halleluiia :-)

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Way to go! How did you do that? I've tried this method a few times, but I think I must be doing something wrong.

Snooze

yup, i also tried the baggie method several times and failed always- the stems and leaves just got moldy and died.

i filled a 6" terracotta pot with potting soil and approx 1 tblsp of rose-tone fertilizer, wet it throughly and stuck a 4" stem approx. 1.5" into the soil. i used a 1/2 gal mason jar and placed the mouth over the stem and screwed it into the soil.

i then waited about six weeks- all the leaves on the stem fell off in about twoo weeks- and watered the soil enough to keep it damp but not soaked- i basically forgot about it for long stretches.:)

the leaflets came out in about two days- monday, i looked and saw a tiny bud, wedsnesday, leaves.

it was outside on a table the whole time. maybe having more air space and circulation helped? i'm going to try another one this weekend and see if i can't have another success before the frost.

carl

Reply to
caterbro

You can root roses without the use of a rooting hormone? I thought roses had to be grafted ? Whats the purpose of the graft? I will have to give it a try next year (growing season is over).

I use a 2 liter sodapop bottle and cut the borrom off. It then fits nicely into a 5 inch pot (I think its a 5 inch pot). Leave the top off for some air movement. I root my cirtrus cuttings in a sterile media such as perlite. One cutting per pot for air flow reasons. No direct sunlight. I also use Dip-n-gro rooting hormone.

Reply to
Jmagerl

so the legend goes- apparently, correctly :D

speed and strength of rootstock, probably? grafting onto a hardy stock would probaly take weeks, not months, and see blooms in 1 season.

same idea- it was 6" terracotta and a 1/2gal mason jar. i didn't use rooting hormoe, although i have no objection to it- just potting soil and rose-tone fertilzer.

took 6 weeks-

carl

Reply to
caterbro

I've rooted a number of roses without rooting hormone, mostly ramblers and old garden roses. I think it probably depends on how likely the rose is to root itself. Some probably need more help than others.

Re grafting: Old garden roses and miniatures are grown on their own roots. Many modern shrub roses are grown on their own roots. More roses are being offered on their own roots that previously were offered only as grafted. It's a recent trend, at least in the USA. I don't know about elsewhere.

Grafting marries a strong species rose (like Dr. Huey) to a typically weaker modern rose. Also in some places (Florida, I believe) the root stock is necessary to fight nematodes (?) in the soil. There's a lot of information on this on the Internet if you're really interested. You might start with articles on the American Rose Society web site:

I use the black plastic 1 gal containers you get at nurseries, fill with plain potting soil (Schultz Professional Grow Mix, I think it's called), no cover, water and mist, keep in shade/semi-shade until leaves appear. Gradually move into sun as cutting looks more like a plant.

For some reason one OGR (I think it was a Bourbon) didn't make it at all as cuttings, whereas another of the same class did fine. :)

Gail near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Reply to
Gail Futoran

My green thumb has died. I used to, while triming a rose bush, take the cuttings and stick them in the ground where I wanted them to live and they did.

I have air-layered them or taken a long branch of the bush , layed it on the ground without cutting it off the parent, made a slit in the stem at the point I chose to start the roots and maybe stick a tooth pick in the slit to hold it open, put some soil over it, set a brick or rock on it and it would take root. I have done the zip lock bit but not much luck and they damp off as i fortget to give them air daily. same way with the mason jar way. Sometime I dip starts in tea and that seemed to make it want to root better.

Now i start a plant and a week later even paying won't bring it to life. I think I have condfused which time of the moon to do this. Probably doing it at the wrong time of the moon. Tvksi/lee

Reply to
tvksi