Holly Trees Root Structure

Hi,

Does anyone know what type of root structure a common holy tree has? We've just moved and within 12 hours of moving in our neighbours had sent round their friendly tree surgeon to enquire if they could pay for our Holly to be removed. It is close to their property and apparently within 3 m of a drain. I know they are a slow growing species and this one is approx 25ft high. I obviously don't want their property to be damaged but didn't know if root system is deep and invasive or shallow and far reaching.

Thanks for any comments

Reply to
gingko

Holly roots are fiberous but do not go very deep any distance from the trunk, are not invasive, but as with most trees their surface roots extend some distance past the tree's drip line.

Ten feet away is a pretty safe distance... seems to me like it's their drain that's too near your property, they should move it.

It's very strange that they didn't ask the last owner to remove that tree for some 25 years... probably did (many times) and were refused (each time), probably a long standing feud over that tree. Holly being a dense evergreen offers excellent privacy, I'd not remove a healthy holly. Your neighbor can easily dig down on their side and cut whatever few roots may be encroaching on their drain... your tree won't suffer from some small feeder root pruning and probably will benefit. They can easily shield their drain from roots from your tree and their trees with a few dollars worth of aluminum flashing. That drain business is just a smarmy ploy... odds are they don't like that tree because it interferes with their snooping... next thing they'll ask that you remove your window shades. LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I think these people have more nerve than brains. Within One day??? How arrogant!! Do not take this tree down until you have lived with it for a while. We have lots of hollies and love them for their privacy. You may find the same thing. Obviously they thought you would not do this if they waited. There may be a good reason the tree remained there. Nanzi

Reply to
Nanzi