Holly (Ilex) leaves turning yellow and losing spines

Hello, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to gardening as well. I have a query about my holly tree (Ilex Aquifolium). I planted it about a year ago and at first it looked like a holly tree - lustrous dark green prickly edged leaves with lots of holly berries. Now, it is still tall (about 5 feet) and there is new growth and little white flowers at the moment but the leaves have gone very pale green, almost yellow and are no longer spiny or prickly but are completely smooth at the edges. This has been happening gradually since I planted it. I live in the Highlands (of Scotland) and the soil here is fairly stony and not great quality. I have added general compost and Miracle Gro but to no avail. It is in a fairly sunny position and we get lots of daylight here at this time of year. Do you know what is wrong with it and how I can treat it please?

Reply to
suzeyblue

I think I know how to solve your problem - there are one or two solutions but it may be to do with your mental attitude towards the Ilex. They tend to be very sensitive and thrive well if treated regularly in a positive and loving manner. I am sure if you try this for a few weeks your beautiful holly tree will flourish once more just as it should, the king of winter, its over-wintering evergreen leaves and bright red berries reaching the height of their glory on the winter solstice.

Good luck

Reply to
Keengardener

Thank you Keengardener but I suspect the problem runs deeper. You suggested one or two solutions. I would be interested to know what else you might suggest.

Reply to
suzeyblue

Try a thistle instead.

Reply to