Holly bushes with lots of dead branches

We bought 6 holly bushes. One is doing really well, no dead branches at all. They're all getting about the same amount of sun and are watered and fertilized equally, and most of them are looking pretty sad. One in particular seems to have more dead branches than live ones. Any suggestions??
Chris O'Meally
Remove the dead branches.

Christine O'Meally wrote:

Holly tends to get sooty mildew. Use Daconyl or Benemyl or your favorite fungicide. Remove damaged parts.
Stubby wrote:

Thanks - I was removing the dead branches but I was afraid that it might be the wrong time of year or something - I did notice mildew and wasn't sure just why it was there. Thank you so much!
Chris O'Meally
Back off on the fertilizer. Remove dead damaged or diseased wood at any time. Make pruning cuts to the branch collar not flush with the trunk or thicker stem. The branch collar is the swelling just before the branch joins the trunk, you want your cuts to leave that knob of wood because that is where the tissue that will make the bark to heal the wound is. Look on the undersides of the leaves for scale insects while you are working.