holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.

I have some holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.
How and when can I do that?
Thanks
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:12:44 -0400, " Netter"

You might be successful taking hardwood cuttings, but my father showed me another way. Dig a trench about 2-3" deep, a foot or two long, pull down a limb into the trench, make a few scratches into the bark, weight with a stone, and cover it up. Do 3 or 4 branches. The next year check for roots then relocate the rooted branch to a prepared hole in a sunny area. I found this method to be 70-80% successful.

Good advice! I wait two years then cut from mother plant but let it stay one more year then move. Might seem like a long time but once you start plant transplants you will have new plants every year.
Enjoy!
Bill
PS Think of gifts to friends or children in time. Yet another reason to go with good varieties.
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Thanks to both for your comments.