holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.

I have some holly bushes that I'd like to propagate.

How and when can I do that?

Thanks

Reply to
Netter

You might be successful taking hardwood cuttings, but my father showed me another way. Dig a trench about 2-3" deep, a foot or two long, pull down a limb into the trench, make a few scratches into the bark, weight with a stone, and cover it up. Do 3 or 4 branches. The next year check for roots then relocate the rooted branch to a prepared hole in a sunny area. I found this method to be 70-80% successful.

Reply to
Phisherman

Good advice! I wait two years then cut from mother plant but let it stay one more year then move. Might seem like a long time but once you start plant transplants you will have new plants every year.

Enjoy!

Bill

PS Think of gifts to friends or children in time. Yet another reason to go with good varieties.

Reply to
William Wagner

Thanks to both for your comments.

Any suggestions on how to do it with hardwood cuttings. And what time is best. Using newly grown wood the best??

Thanks

Reply to
Netter