Hibiscus, Zinnia and Gerbera Daisy Questions:)

I accidentally left my potted Hibiscus outside and we had a freeze:( It is all black and dried out looking...will it come back next Spring, or is it doomed?

When the zinnias are done for the Summer, should I cut them back all the way to the ground, or just deadhead them?

Same question with Gerbera (or is it Gerber) daisies...:)

I had a few Crossandra plants that got zapped by the freeze as well, but from what I'm reading online, looks like they're a goner...guess I will just keep the rest in pots and bring them inside for the Winter.

Thanks for any help...I've been gardening for years, but I'm still learning!

Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

gregpresley

About that Hibiscus, it might not have been doomed. As long as the root system wasn't severely damaged it could come back into growth.

I am assuming this is/was a Tropical Hibiscus. If you still have the plant, prune it back, severely, to 8 - 12-inches above the soil like; if it was branched, try to conserve some of the larger branches. Place it in the brightest location possible and water only when dry to the touch. If there is any life left in it, it will sprout new growth within a few weeks. Once new growth has been initiated, begin watering as needed to keep the potting mix evenly moist. Hope this post isn't too late to help.

Hemma

Reply to
Hemmaholic