Hibiscus - what is that stuff at base of leaf?

My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?

TIA LAS

Reply to
las

Isn't it obvious that you have a male hibiscus?

Reply to
Arnaud de Fleur

Scale perhaps.

Reply to
Travis

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

Carolyn It will be easier for people to find your comment if you put it below my sig instead of in line with the last line of it.

Reply to
Travis

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

Scale perhaps.

Reply to
sockiescat

You didn't try very hard.

Reply to
Travis

In message , las writes

Some types of Hibiscus have foliar nectaries. IIRC, none of the commonly grown types do, so perhaps they aren't in your case.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Its a globule of nectar secreted from a nectary gland. The plant secretes nectar to attract ants that keep away other insect pests. Its harmless and can be washed away with a spray of water.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........