Hibiscus - what is that stuff at base of leaf?

My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?
TIA LAS

Isn't it obvious that you have a male hibiscus?
las wrote:

Scale perhaps.

USDA Zone 8

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

Carolyn It will be easier for people to find your comment if you put it below my sig instead of in line with the last line of it.

USDA Zone 8

Carolyn
Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

You didn't try very hard.

USDA Zone 8
Travis Carolyn LeCrone wrote:
"Travis" snipped-for-privacy@somethingn.invalid wrote in message
las wrote: My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is? TIA LAS
Scale perhaps.
USDA Zone 8

Some types of Hibiscus have foliar nectaries. IIRC, none of the commonly grown types do, so perhaps they aren't in your case.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Its a globule of nectar secreted from a nectary gland. The plant secretes nectar to attract ants that keep away other insect pests. Its harmless and can be washed away with a spray of water.