hibiscus

I've put my hibiscus outside for the summer. It was thriving indoors with lots of leaves but now the leaves are fading and starting to fall off. I seem to remember this from last year too, so waited till all threat of frost had passed. But damn it, it's happening again and I don't know why. I think my zone is 5 (Ontario), if that matters. Elaine

I have heard that you should ease the indoor/outdoor transition, I think by putting them in the different location for a few hours per day in the beginning. I also think they don't like temps below around 50 (10 deg C), and in Ohio we have had those as nighttime temps recently. My hibiscus didn't do that well indoors over the winter, but it is perking up a bit outdoors now! Good luck!
-kim
says... > > I've put my hibiscus outside for the summer. It was thriving indoors with > > lots of leaves but now the leaves are fading and starting to fall off. I > > seem to remember this from last year too, so waited till all threat of frost > > had passed. But damn it, it's happening again and I don't know why. I > > think my zone is 5 (Ontario), if that matters. > > Elaine > > I have heard that you should ease the indoor/outdoor transition, I think > by putting them in the different location for a few hours per day in the > beginning. I also think they don't like temps below around 50 (10 deg > C), and in Ohio we have had those as nighttime temps recently. My > hibiscus didn't do that well indoors over the winter, but it is perking > up a bit outdoors now! Good luck! > > -kim
I bet that's what happened. Was still not warm enough to be left outdoors. A pity, because it was looking good - even after the winter. But it's not dead yet and I'll remember for next year. Thanks.
Elaine