Here's to compost

Just built my first "real" compost pile out of some cedar fence that was taken down. Here's hoping it works as well as the chicken wire I've been using!

How are you going to get in there to turn and aerate (sp) ?

I find it easer to never turn the pile, when the pile (4x4x4) is 1- year old I screen it & throw the uncomposted material into next years bin. There is very little that will not be composted. It takes a year using all materials on my one acre of land to build a pile 4x4x4, 64 cubic feet, which takes about 10 x 64cu ft or 640 cubic ft of materials to make a pile of compost 4x4x4. It then sets a year ( summer solstice to summer solstice June,22) while I'm building a new one. Now if you have a 4x4x4 bin full of material & you start turning, you'll probably end with 6 cu ft, one wheelbarrow full. My way I get 128 wheelbarrows of compost a year. Have never aerated and can't see why I should. Have been doing this for eight years.
dav