Here's MY clematis question....

I probably could find this if I searched long enough, but I'm a tad busy with trying to unpack. :) Do clematises

*require* a winter? Living in Hawaii, I've resigned myself to not having certain plants/flowers (at least, I've decided I'm not going through all of the hassle and all of the space required to have them.) I've checked out a lot of yards and I just don't recall seeing any clematises around, which has me believing they're one of those 'requires low temperatures for at least X number of weeks' to bloom. Anyone know off the top of their head?

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey

Off the top of my head, I think the warmest Zone for most clematis is Zone

9...

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Bummer. :( Although, I probably should try and find a more specific zonal map for Hawaii/Oahu. With the wild climate variance here, maybe the area I'm in is actually a 9 instead of a 10. Ya think???

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey

When you get unpacked do a search. I put 'Clematis+Hawaii' into Google and got quite a few hits and apparently there's a Clematis Society on the Islands as well.

Val

Reply to
Valkyrie

Woohoo!!! Although, with my luck, it will be on one of the other islands with higher elevations than this one (thus, lower yearly temps.) I won't wait until I unpack. I'm finding boxes I haven't unpacked since 1986. :)

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey

Reply to
gregpresley

Urp. The only places I know of that that might be possible in the state are at the tops of the volcanoes. Definitely nowhere on Oahu.

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey