herbs in hanging baskets

hi! Im a newbie to the site. My first question of many. I want to grow herbs in a 16" basket...which herbs and how many to put in?

Reply to
cookygirl43

Welcome.

Hopefully you give us more information with you future questions.

What herbs do you like? What is your weather like? Where do you live?

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

This kind of information is important because not all herbs will suit all circumstances.

David Hare-Scott

Why a basket... I think you'll have better results growing herbs in a planter; a flower pot or a window box... whether the planter is in a basket or not is of no consequence. Of course you'll do best growing herbs directly in the ground... even if you rent you can still find a small piece of ground... herbs don't need much space... a piece of ground 2' X 4' can supply a family with more herbs than they can possibly use. Start with a couple three parsley plants, a couple of basil plants, a sprig or two of thyme, a fistful of chives, and maybe a small rosemary shrub. I think that's a very good basic assortment. You can add or subtract according to your taste in cooking. I would've suggested oregano but like mint it's very invasive and cheap enough to buy dried and that works as well if not better then fresh. Actually my only must-grow herb is parsley, I like curly parsley better than flat leaf, I like it fresh in salads. I don't much care for basil. In ending I will warn that many popular herbs are very invasive... don't even think about growing dillweed or fennel seeds outdoors, your neighbors will lynch you.

Reply to
Brooklyn1