Herb harvesting

This has to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever asked, but please bear with my lack of knowledge.
I'm just growing herbs for the first time. When snipping chives, do I snip an inch or so at once from the entire growth, or do I clip the individual chive stem down to the base?
(Told you it was dumb. ;-( but I'll learn.)
Dora
--
snipped-for-privacy@giveitup.com

limey at toad dot net
On Sun, 16 May 2004, limey wrote:

I have some chives on the way as well, and have been lurking here. I can't answer your question but I wanted to thank you for asking it, so now I don't have to. :)
"David Kotschessa" wrote in message

Dora

Me too..... hc
Snip only what you intend to use and leave the lower portions for the plant to grow. If you cut it all the way to the ground, the plant dies.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

Dora

Either method can work. If you clip the individual chive stem, leave about 1" remaining above the soil level. This is my preferred method as the plant will replace the removed stem with a fresh one, and I think the appearance is better afterward.
Regards.

Just happen to have 'Organic Gardening' mag with a long article on herbs close to hand. "Chives are at their culinary best when their tubular leaves are young, narrow and tender -- this is *before* the plant flowers. To harvest those leaves, cut them off in clumps about half an inch from the ground. (Don't just cut off the tips; what's left standing will turn brown and become useless.) To rejuvenate a plant that has flowered and turned tough, cut if all off (even mow it) close to the ground; it will regrow quickly."
"Frogleg" wrote in message >

Thanks, Frogleg - I'm keeping the information. See you on r.f.c.!
Dora