Herb harvesting

This has to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever asked, but please bear with my lack of knowledge.

I'm just growing herbs for the first time. When snipping chives, do I snip an inch or so at once from the entire growth, or do I clip the individual chive stem down to the base?

(Told you it was dumb. ;-( but I'll learn.)

Dora

Reply to
limey

Snip only what you intend to use and leave the lower portions for the plant to grow. If you cut it all the way to the ground, the plant dies.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

I have some chives on the way as well, and have been lurking here. I can't answer your question but I wanted to thank you for asking it, so now I don't have to. :)

Reply to
David Kotschessa

Ain't Usenet just grand! Good luck with yours.

Dora

Reply to
limey

Many thanks for your help.

Dora

Reply to
limey

Either method can work. If you clip the individual chive stem, leave about

1" remaining above the soil level. This is my preferred method as the plant will replace the removed stem with a fresh one, and I think the appearance is better afterward.

Regards.

Reply to
eclectic

Just happen to have 'Organic Gardening' mag with a long article on herbs close to hand. "Chives are at their culinary best when their tubular leaves are young, narrow and tender -- this is *before* the plant flowers. To harvest those leaves, cut them off in clumps about half an inch from the ground. (Don't just cut off the tips; what's left standing will turn brown and become useless.) To rejuvenate a plant that has flowered and turned tough, cut if all off (even mow it) close to the ground; it will regrow quickly."

Reply to
Frogleg

Me too..... hc

Reply to
heppiechik

Thanks, Frogleg - I'm keeping the information. See you on r.f.c.!

Dora

Reply to
limey