Herb garden

I'm a neophyte at growing herbs and need help with this question.
If I plant basil, thyme, dill, oregano (and maybe parsley) what size garden bed should I need and how far apart should I place the plants? TIA
Dora snipped-for-privacy@giveitup.com
limey at toad dot net

Herbs do not take up much space. I have a new area in the garden, a parsley patch (3x4 feet), but that is way more parsley than I'll ever need. Each seed packet will tell how far away to plant the seeds. Dill can get quite tall. Oregano and thyme are low-growing and in many parts, perennials. Most herbs like quick-draining soil, full sun, no fertilizer or use organics.
Why not grow them in tubs close to your kitchen door, so you can just step outside when you want some whilst you are cooking.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
limey wrote:

Unless you are going to use a lot of herbs (e.g., making pesto by the gallon takes a lot of basil and parsley), grow them in flower pots. Oregano and mint can be quite invasive if not constrained.
My herbs are in 10-inch pots. I have perennial herbs: peppermint (Mentha piperita), tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), golden thyme (Thymus vulgaris 'Aureus'), and sage (Salvia officinalis). I also have annual herbs: basil (Ocimum basilicum) and dill (Anethum graveolens). The pots are lined up on both sides of a garden path where the path is extra wide.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/
"David Ross" > wrote in message

Thanks, David. 10-inch pots are sounding very attractive to me and I have just the spot near the back door. I only need the herbs leaf by leaf, but it surely beats buying them from the supermarket. I know how invasive mint is - I do have a patch of that, busily growing into the grass and the azaleas. I have to curb its enthusiastic growth pattern yet again.
Dora