hens chicks?

i purchased a nice plant this weekend at a thrift store and would like some information about care and propagation. can someone help me?

chaz

that looks like an echiveria...it could be a variety of sempervivum. where are you in zone location? did the tag SAY hens and chicks? if so, you might be able to leave it outside this winter. sempervivums are hardy to zone 4. they adore fast draining, poor soil, are desert and rock garden plants. love dry, sunny spots, and will make "chicks" or pups (like yours is doing now) of daughter plants and the mother will bloom and die, leaving the babies to replace her from her remains. I adore sempervivums. There's over 3000 different varieties from around the world. I would love to get hold of the yellow leafed one from Yugoslavia............sigh........hope this helps. (you won't have to water it, but gritty soil that is fast draining in a clay pot would be preferable madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset 36 where there's LOTS of sempervivums, cacti, succulents and tropical along with all the perennials and what not........

Reply to
madgardener

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) i purchased a nice plant this weekend at a thrift store and would like :) some information about care and propagation. can someone help me? :)

:) :) Very light on the watering, deep watering once every couple of weeks. Where ever you plant it or place the planter it is growing in, let it be rather than changing locations through out the Summer.

Reply to
Lar

Chaz- Hens and Chicks remind me of my childhood. I remember as a kid, we had stairs which led up to the front porch of our home. And there was a wonderful rock garden beneath. It had just the right amount of sun exposure.

They seemed to be easy to propogate. We would break off the newer growth with stems, and replant. We often did this when they'd get "leggy" or a bit scraggly looking.

They were very hardy.

In my back yard now, I have an area, where I have arranged some old terra cotta chimney pipes, at various heights to each other. I have planted my succulents in them (including a few Hens and Chicks). They remind me a bit of that old childhood rock garden we had.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

So if I want a new plant should I snip off one of the little shoots?

Reply to
chaz

The tag said "hens and chicks" but i would not know h&c if it bit me :) i just liked the color and texture of the plant. would like to propogate some for my mom

chaz

Reply to
chaz

I got hens-and-chicks. I started with one plant and put it in the sunny corner of a flower bed. This corner gets sun--all day, plus the reflection from the driveway. It has gradually spread and even grows over itself. To propagate, wait until the plant produces young plants, then pull them apart. They grow best in the sun with some neglect. I have seen them growing in the shade too.

Reply to
Phisherman