Hemlock v. Avorbortae / Which Best for partial shade?

I have a spot for planting that gets partial sun/shade. Which of these two plants, Hemlock, or Avorbortae (not correct spelling, but close), would do better in partial shade?

Thank you for any comments !!

--James--

Reply to
James

If you search Google using the correct spelling (arborvitae), you shouldn't have much trouble finding the information you want.

Doug Miller

The Hemlock.

Reply to
David J Bockman

It depends upon how partial. Arborvitae will tolerate shade. Hemlock demands shade. Arborvitae will tolerate poor soil and dry soil. Hemlock demands good moist well drained soil.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I am considering replacing the two Arborvitae on the West side of my house with Hemlocks because I have already replaced about 5 of Arborvitae when they died on me. This location only gets the afternoon sun, which may have been a factor in the loss of these trees. I had Red Cedars growing in these places for over 20 years with no problems. It could be the nursery stock is bad, or some other factor, but I think it is time to try a different variety.

Sherw> I have a spot for planting that gets partial sun/shade. Which of these two

Reply to
sherwindu

Yup. Think "arbor" (tree) and "vitae"(life). Tree of Life.

Look up: hemlock wooly adelgid

Reply to
Ann