Help with weeds

Hello, guys, I am struggling like crazy to find out what this little fella is called, and more importantly have to get rid of it for good.

I have pulled it, sprayed it, dug it, gravelled over it (with membrane) but it just does not go away.

Can't find pictures of it anywhere and I want to turf over the area but short of nukeing the garden first.....?? I'm not even sure that would ghet rid.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: IMG_20100709_130719.jpg | |Download:
richie16

The plants in question being the horsetails (Equisetum)? You'll find some control tips on

Una

Reply to
Una

I was sure before even looking at your picture that you were dealing with horstails (Equisetum arvense).

The patient approach (years): CUT (do not pull) all of the above ground shoots at ground level. Cut them consistently by the time they reach 3 inches (7 cm).

Horsetails grow most vigorously in soils of low fertility and pH. Topdress the area with compost and raise the soil pH with lime.

I've seen flower beds run rampant with horsetails surrounded by well maintained turf with no signs of it.

If the site is otherwise suitable for turf grass (full sun, decent drainage), then prepare the soil with soil amendments (compost, limestone, fertilizer) and sod over it. The horsetails should not be able to compete with the grass if you practice excellent turf maintainence (mow high, mow often, with sharp blades, water when rain is lacking, fertilize with slow release or organic lawn fertilizers at regular intervals).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Sorry for the late reply I have been away.

Thanks very much guys, this has been driving me crazy.

I will try out some of your ideas.

richie16

Your herbs aren't completely maintenance free. They require regular care and attention, just like flowers or vegetable plants. After the initial planting of the herbs, continue to apply compost or fertilizer to them on a regular basis. You may also want to add mulch occasionally as well. Mulch helps to preserve moisture. It also prevents weeds from overtaking your garden.

craftsmaster