Help with garden/planting layout

Hi Guys,

First time on here, so feel free to tell me off if this is an innapropriate question.

Moved into a 3 bed terraced a little over a year ago and spent most of last year focussing on the garden. Took out 2 skip loads of buried and cast concrete, all old fences down and new fences up , top soil and turfed the whole lot. Nothing has been planted yet and we're already well into summer, which is annoying me, where does the time go.

I basically have a blank canvas and want to cut some pretty basic beds and plant some plants. The garden is pretty rectangular and the aoi is roughly 5m x 15m inc turf.

Although I'd like to think I have green fingers and did a lot of gardenign in our bigger South African garden as a youngster, I'm not that familiar with UK plants yet and could really do with advice on what to plant.

Is anyone out there experienced or kind enough to give some landscapign advice if I sent some photos of the garden?

Cheeky maybe, but worth a try. I can explain what I have in mind.

macadonald

In my garden,I have( my garden is quite shady) wild geranium fuschia clamatis honey suckle climbing rose primroses,and lots of daff bulbs and snow drops around them. bleeding heart plant fox gloves (grow anywhere!) Hosta Ivy Forsythia. Are you going to be planting the pond? Ive just put one in,and its looking better now the plants are taking!

kathateria

There's a lot you can do with a garden of that size.

Ours is very similar, about 90ft by less than 30ft. In that we've a

26ft garage, a large and small patio, a 9ftX 12ft koi pool with a rockery and waterfall (the filters are in a dedicated room at the back of the garage), an 8ftX6ft shed and a 9ftX9ft Japanese tea house with a 12ftX12ft roof.

Our planting consists of azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, dahlias fuchsias, several wisterias, a lot of roses in pots several grasses, four fruit trees in tubs and an almond tree in a central bed and a lot of bamboo, but it doesn't look too crowded. With no bedding plants and the lawn edged with pavers for ease of mnowing it's a low maintenance garden.

I did all the hard landscaping myself, including making the 4' 6" lamps, the 6' pogada (they're concrete) and the tea house and shed, most of it

25 years ago.

It's just about having a long term plan and tackling it a bit at a time.

Start with the bits you can see from your lounge.

Here's a tour of ours, it may give you some ideas.

'YouTube - ‪Our Garden, April 2011‬‏'

Doghouse Riley

Most of us who post to this newsgroup (look up on google to find out what a newsgroup is - we don't post to the forum gardenbanter which just steals our posts and pretends we have posted there) are not in the UK. Have a look for a magazine called "The English Garden" as it has good garden ideas and the sorts of plants that grow well in the UK.

Reply to
FarmI