Help with Dogwood

I am hoping someone can give me some advice/help. My recently planted dogwood tree looks dead after a month. All the leaves are withered and crisp. It's been a rainu spring. 've been working to keep a lot of excess water away from the tree, but my efforts now seem in vain. Is there any hope for this tree or will I need to replace it. Thanks in advance. Nanci

Reply to
Nanci Donacki

Photos and location info world help, but it sounds like anthracnose disease. On an established plant maybe not such a big deal; on a small, newly installed one may be more of a problem. Where are you, how big is the plant, is it a cultivar, etc... Need more info

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Your tree was planted too deeply. It is dead. Replace it.

Reply to
don't e-mail me

I wish I had you level of insight. Very impressive.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Dogwoods, particularly in southern climates, don't like full sun.

Reply to
Quantum Foam Guy

Thanks for all the advice. The tree is about 4 feet tall, and is located in full sun. Guess I'll need to replace it with something else. Thanks again.

Reply to
Nanci Donacki

I'm in Houston and the latest I plant these is March. They are cool season plants and bloom very early spring down here. Yours may have had blooms if planted a month ago. If you are on the same parallel as Houston and planted one of these a month ago, it may have been too late. I normally transplant these in Dec Jan.

Nanci D> =

Reply to
J Kolenovsky