Help with Compost Tea

I'm making some compost tea and want to be sure I'm doing this right. I've taken a 5 gallon bucket and added two shovelfuls of compost. I've taken an old aquarium pump and run an air line to the bottom of the bucket to aerate the tea. Then filled the bucket with water.

QUESTIONS:

? How long does this tea have to steep? I've read everything from overnight to two weeks. ? My tap water is chlorinated. Will the chlorine kill off beneficial bacteria in the compost? If so, will adding chlorine remover used for acquariums help? ? Is it really necessary to have the air line plugged into a gang valve for multiple bubble streams, or will one good stream of air bubbles do the trick?

Thanks for the help.

-Fleemo

Reply to
Fleemo

  1. Tea should steep 1- 5 days. It depends on what you feed the "herd".
  2. Chlorine kills. No need for a chlorine remover when stirring it every few hours for 24 hours will do the trick.
  3. No need for a gang valve. The microbes get oxygen from the water's movement at the surface. Thus one air stone is sufficient.

Try here:

read the FAQ at gardenweb.com :
Fito

Reply to
Fito

Use about a cup or two of good quality vermicompost. Add a tablespoon of organic molasses, some kelp extract, and rock phosphate. If your compost is thermophilic, has gone to 135-150 degrees in several cycles it may be good as ACT(Aerated Compost Tea). If it's the typical homeowner stuff find a new source. Email and I'll give you a source in your area. snipped-for-privacy@lasvegaslivesoil.com

remove lasvegas

Lab tests, direct counts of bacteria and fungi, conclusively show that ACT Aerated Compost Tea is of the highest quality when "brewed for

18-24 hours

Yes chlorine will kill beneficial microbes. If your water treatment facility uses chloramines it is very persistent. Sodium thiosulphate (aquarium dechlorinator) is a poor dechlorinator and will likely kill microbes with its residuals. Put some 5-gallon buckets of water out in the sun for a day or two, use a carbon filter, or bubble the water for 24 hours with your pump and stones,

Using a single stone will NOT provide enough air to keep the ACT aerated and it will likely go anaerobic.... NOT WHAT YOU WANT! Use two circular sections of 1/4 porous tubing. One circle at the right angle formed by the side and bottom of the bucket, an additional circle about the center of the bottom of the bucket.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

All testing for maximum diversity clearly shows 18-24 hours with adequate oxygen is ideal.

Chloramines are persistent and may not be volatized.

NO NO NO!!! The dissolved oxygen needs to stay of 5mg/L and will not stay at that level from the surface movement MORE AIR IS NEEDED!!!!

THE GARDEN WEB INFO IS JUST PLAIN WRONG AND CONTRARY TO ALL TESTING!!!!

Tom Jaszewski

I have a five gallon bucket to which I adhered two pieces of 1/4 inch drip line tubing, in concentric circles, on the bottom of the pail. I bought a two outlet aquarium pump, but you can do it with one and use a T connection for two circles of drip tubing. I adhered them by using marine glue (totally dried and it doesn't hurt anything in the water) to stick the anchors down. For that I went to Lowes and bought a bag of wire clasps. I can't remember the name of them, but they are in the aisle with the cable wire. You put the cable in it and then put a nail or screw through to hold the cable down. I put my drip tubes into that and only adhere one side of the "holder" down so I can put the drip tube in or take it out. It provides me enough hold for the task.

Then, I take a water plant basket. Two dollars for a round one at Lowes, also. Put my very excellent compost in that and float it down to sit on the drip tubes which now have air pushing through, instead of water dripping out.

My compost leachate is ready to use in about 24-36 hours. Any longer and I've read the organisms you are growing don't survive in the water. The idea is to grow organisms which are beneficial in the aerobic water.

I've heard Tom say to use worm castings, which I believe would be a much cleaner tea in the end. It probably has a lot of really great organisms. The compost I buy around here is made using inoculant and in wind rows which are constantly moving. Far as I know, it's the only commercial operation in the US making compost this way. It is 36 dollars a yard. Gold.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

Ya see how even what seems to be a simple subject can result in so many conflicting opinions? :}

I'm curious, Tom, why wouldn't the "typical homeowner stuff" be good enough for the tea? Are there really different grades of compost?

I forgot to mention that I did add some organic molasses to the pot. The kelp exctract and rock phosphate are new to me. I assume you can find this stuff at a typical garden center, and that they're essential to the formula?

So for the rings of porus tubing, I'm picturing two concentric circles a the bottom of the bucket, correct? Where do you find such tubing?

Reply to
Fleemo

I have been making some compost tea using an aquarium pump. I have found that I need to turn the air volume to at least in the middle level of my aquarium pump in order to get the sweet earthly smell from the compost tea. If I turn the air volume down to the lowest level (was trying to save electricity), I will have stinky stuff (I will not call it compost tea when it smells).

The aquarium pump that I have is the model 9200 (or 9500???) that I bought from PETCO. It has two air outlets. I find that it is probably overkill for the 5-gal container that I am using. With one outlet plugged, and running air volume at mid level, I still can get compost tea that has sweet earthly smell. I should have bought one model down that has only one air outlet (and run it at mid level of air volume).

Of course, someone may say that turning the air volume all the way to the highest level may be even better. I have no idea if that is true or not. I just want to keep the air volume to be just good enough without using additional electricity or generating more noise.

I have been pouring compost tea to a small area of my lawn for a month. So far, I don't see any difference between the area with compost tea, and the area with plain water. I hope you have a better luck.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Not all compost tea is the same. The state of the art tea is made aerobically. The aerobic tea made at my favorite garden center:

it for 5 dollars per gallon, 6 if they have to supply the jug.

When diluted it can cover 7500 square feet. What you are doing is adding beneficial organisms to soil, and leaf surfaces to prevent and in many cases cure certain diseases and pest infestations.

If the compost tea they sell has been on the shelf for a while, it is not aerobic tea. It also probably has some sort of bacterial suppressant so the bottle doesn't explode from the organism growth.

That said, what type can you buy?

Reply to
animaux

These results are not mere opinions. They are heavily researched procedures.

will give much of that information.

Absolutely. There are huge differences in compost, one to another.

Most good garden centers sell kelp and soft rock phosphate, but it is not essential. However, it is optimum.

I bought a "skein" of it at Lowes. They sell it along with other drip irrigation stuff. I bought the T connectors at Walmart in the aquarium section very inexpensively. I think they cost a dollar each.

Reply to
animaux

Well, it sells, like you say, for about five dollars a gallon. You bring your own jug and save a few cents. They fill it from the contraption it's "cooking" in.

So, do you have to use all of it within a few days? Does it die if some is left in the jug for a week or so?

karen

Reply to
AnonnyMoose

What does this mean?

What does this mean? Not sure what you meant here.

Reply to
Fito

Good advise Pam, I think it would be more practical to think in terms of oz per 1000sq ft for home use. I stand with 64oz/1000 of concentrate with howevr much water is needed.

Ideas?

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Well there are conflicting opinions and then there are the known scientific facts. ATTRA.ORG soilfoodweb.com, and the international compost tea council and the compost council are sources of the good science behind composting and ACT.

Compost is a really general term. First we probably need a 250-post wreck.gardens slugfest to sort it out? Nah! Most homeowners do not get their compost piles to temperature. I insist, and good science backs up the concept, that the compost has controlled inputs (balanced) and reaches 135-150 several times in the cycle. I also insist that it be tested by the manufacturer for biological diversity and stability.

I say vermicompost even when a little pricey for quality stuff because if it's from a tested source it's likely far more stable and biologically divers than most composts.

Typical garden center? Maybe in OR or WA, they seem to be more enlightened.

I often use and recommend

Yes at the bottom of the bucket. I found it in a conventional nursery drip irrigation section.

don't recommend gluing it down, as it needs to be changed every once in awhile as the bacteria and fungi tend to clog it up. A visual inspection will tell you when to change it.

Feel free to eail for additional resources.

snipped-for-privacy@chemicalslivesoil.com remove chemicals for valid address

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Jay it's really not a matter of luck!

What are you using for compost and what additioves in your recipe? Perhaps you are making dark colored water and not ACT?

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Chloramines are used to treat water in some areas, and tehy are difficult to remove.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

There are many negatives to consider. Looking on the web, most websites about compost tea are selling products or services & are riddled with myths, exaggerations, & outright lies designed to sell, not to inform. Anecdotes are used in place of evidence, & there are "it worked for me" testimonies up the wazoo. What most gardeners know of compost teas they learned at local nurseries invested in building a clientelle for a high-profit-margin product (dirty water) the components of which the nursery cannot actually predict or control, promoted as good for sundry benefits that are not actually proven. Tjere are many things about Compost Tea that are potentially very harmful but all the "customer" is told is it's an organic miracle doing only good.

The majority of claims for Compost Tea have not been validated by any scientific study. Some few values have been proven, but generally not in exactly the same way as promoted by nurseries & vendors.

"Lessons" & "workshops" at nurseries are designed to sell you stuff. You will not be taught very much that is certainly true, & you will not be able to sort out what is factual or at least possible, from what is completely fabricated & baseless.

Harmful side effects are possible with Compost Tea. The majority of harmful side effects are circumvented by using topcoatings of compost & avoiding compost tea.

If a gardener is ALREADY doing everything properly & has well-balanced soils that result from proper organic gardening practices, then loading on compost soups can actually harm plants by duplicating already completed processes -- it can be like adding fertilizer on top of fertilizer until plants are cared for to death.

Because vendors want to sell multiple products, they rarely give good instructions about what Compost Tea applications replace. So the gardner can be encouraged to just that sorry outcome of "loving your plants to death."

Top coating mulches provide a healthful slow-release fertilizing & even low-Nitrogen fertilizers feed the microorganisms (slowly) so that the microorganisms will produce the required nitrogen. Topcoating composts feed & encourage healthful microorganisms at exactly the rate the soil requires & which the soil can sustain long-term. By contrast, dousing a garden with mulch soups will transiently (potentially dangerously) overfertilize & may backfire, causing a rapid decline in microorganism health, injuring plants, & inviting pathogenic microorganisms.

Bacteria (even healthful bacteria) produce waste products toxic to themselves, including waste products beneficial to plants which by taking in the nutrients keep the soil balanced for the continued health of the microorganisms. When concentrated in liquid, this is a little bit like having a population of a thousand mice in a cage big enough for only a couple mice. Here again, the attempt to suddenly expand the microorganism population can have the opposite effect. Slowly (hence safely) restoring soils that are damaged, or not over-treating soils that are already well balanced, is not achievable with compost tea.

The science does not support the common claim that these teas function as organic pesticides. Exaggerated claims to the contrary seem to be based on the ability to drown aphids with compost tea -- which could be done as readily with plain water. Compost tea does NOT function as an organic pesticide & any vendor claiming it does is proving only their own willingness to lie to you -- who knows about what all else.

A good healthy compost mulch includes essential organic matter for the garden. Compost teas have very little organic matter hence meets fewer of a garden's needs.

The microorganisms in organic teas are frequently NOT beneficial, or are the same microorganisms already in the soil in sufficient quantity.

One of the hugest claims for compost tea is when it is used as a spray, the healthful microorganisms out-compete pathogens on the surface of plant leaves. To date, no science quite supports the claim that compost tea cures or prevents pathogens in the garden. To quote Dr Chalker-Scott, a horticulturlist at the University of Washington, "In the peer-reviewed literature...field-tested compost tea reported no difference in disease control between compost tea & water." In an update on new science, Dr. Chalker-Scott found that the best "evidence" for pathogen suppression is to be found only in articles that are not peer-reviewed & so not creditable. There are, however, some few narrowly definable positive effects from compost teas & pathogens but not as formulated by or for gardeners. For instance, some wood barks contain chemical components that retard human as well as plant diseases; a tea made of the right kind of bark may have actual medicinal qualities. We can expect this kind of finding to be misrepresented by vendors as proof that their teas cure or prevent things that have never been cured or prevented by compost teas.

Further, because the microbes in compost teas are never isolated & identified, even if one batch did manage to have some microbe in it that competed with, say, apple scab, the next batch would not have the same microbial content. This probably explains why one German study found MARGINAL benifit for apple scab, & a better peer-reviewed study found none.

Another fatuous & elaborate claim is that compost teas repair anaerobic soils making them aerobic. Vendors like to toss in a few fancy words so they sound scientific. The reality is that anaerobic soils are caused by poor drainage or overwatering, or by compacted soils, or high clay content. You could put compost teas on them till the cows come home & not help one bit.

The only proven benefit of compost tea is rapid insertion of microorganisms into soil, which may or may not be needed by the soil, which may or may not survive in the soil whose overall conditions are not likely to be altered by such rapid infusions. All other claims for compost tea should be regarded as vendor mystifications as yet unproven. Some may turn out to be true; most will be roundly disproven but the claims will nevertheless be made by vendors whose only goal is to party ou from your money.

While unneeded microorganisms may abound in the tea, microorganisms that might actually have been needed might not be present at all. Indeed in all likelihood the missing microorganisms will also likely be missing from the compost usedto start the tea.

The actual chemical properties, pH levels, chemical & microorganism components, in compost teas, changes dramatically from batch to batch. All claims of specific values or predictable effects are false. All claims of specific uses for one "variety" of compost tea vs another "variety" cannot be substantiated by predictable properties of the teas. Often the microorganisms will not actually be beneficial.

Compost tea even at its best is inferior to a quality composted mulch of organic material, both as a fertilizer & for its capacity to sustain a maximum population of healthful microorganisms.

Compost teas are more likely than compost mulchings to pollute groundwater.

Topcoatings of compost release nutrients that are entirely used in the garden. Compost teas wash out of the garden & contribute to the eutrophication of watersheds.

Beneficial microorganisms that live in the organic component (not the liquid component) of composts are known to inhibit the splash, spread, leaching, or dispersal of pathogenic microorganisms. Compost teas FACILITATE this dispersal!

Gardens self-mulch with leaf fall. Horticultural station studies have shown that gardens never fertilized at all maintain themselves by self-mulching. Permitting fallen leaves to become leafmold in the garden does vastly more for a garden than removing them. A garden can permanently recycle its nutrients if not interferred with. Compost Teas are by contrast temporary fixes, supposing they even fix anything.

Garden centers brewing teas in your behalf do not as a rule have water tanks in which to age the water & permit the chlorines to evaporate out of it before they start their tea batches. They are selling you dirty water alleged to be chock-full of beneficial microorganisms that probably don't exist when "brewed" in chlorinated water which kills microorganisms. If you made it at home you could let the water sit a day or two before mixing in some compost & starting your tea.

Vendors have learned that by promoting a mythology about compost tea, they can profit from easily duped gardeners who want to be organic gardeners & are by & large suckers waiting to be clipped. Generally the nursery owners have first convinced themselves so that they can feel honest promoting stuff that is a mix of unproven, disproven, harmful, no better, & frequently worse than older established methods of properly dressing soils with organic composts.

Claims of nematode content are nearly always false. As well, nematodes have to be introduced to soils undver very specific conditions & temperatures & times of year that have nothing to do with compost tea.

Compost tea vendors like to call themselves "brewers" which is further mystification of a simple process over which they have inadequate controls for predictable outcomes. They want you to think what they sell you is as predictable as the flavor of your favorite brewed beer, when there is no uniformity of product at any level beyond how much fits in a gallon milk jug. It is part of the smoke & mirrors with the intent of befuddling you into doing something you probably wouldn't do if you were permitted to think too long & too clearly: Don't pay good money for dirty water or "brewing" equipment when you already have everything you need to do it for free at home, or which frankly shouldn't be done at all when mulching with compost does everything compost teas does, but vastly more safely & better.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

This is a commercial website that promotes ideas either disproven or unproven as factual. You can find a thousand just like it, all very positive. For every two thousand sell-you-crap websites praising compost tea, you'll be able to find one actual piece of peer-reviewed science that shows the opposite to be true. Any site invested in selling you stuff is not going to provide you with the actual data of compost teas harming ground water, leaching too quickly out of soils to be of any benefit, injuring plants with excessive amounts of fertilizer, being in every regard inferior to a topcoating of mulching compost, NOT improving the microorganism content of soils, NOT repairing anaerobic soils, and for the most part not even hindering pathogenic organisms (no more than would a good soaking with pure water in any case).

Not everything labeled "organic" is a good thing. The pro-Chemical lobby just hates it when "ecofundies" refuse to believe cancerous toxic chemicals are good for us & our gardens & go all insane in defennse of their PetroChemical fetish. Will greenies get just as up in arms when their favorite organic fad is found out to be 99.9% flimflam? Watch the Compost Tea thread(s) to find out!

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

A whole lot more snipped.......

Amazing! It only takes one, albeit your typical overly wordy and highly opinionated, posting such as this to negate whatever potentially positive input I begin to feel you may share with this group. While you are very quick to jump on the 'down with the evil, money grubbing, environmentally raping and pillaging Monsanto' bandwagon, you hasten to adopt the self-same righteous indignation regarding the benefits of compost tea as those you castigate with respect to the safety of glyphosate/ RoundUp - despite mounting evidence to the contrary (and yes, that includes a LOT of closely controlled and monitored ongoing scientific trials), you dismiss it as a lot of snake oil hocus-pocus and yet another wild conspiracy by shoddy nursery owners to dupe the unsuspecting customer.

What you don't know about compost tea is startling and you obviously have not bothered with any firsthand practical experience to reflect on (no way those sneaky nurseryowners are gonna pull any fast ones on you!). And you continue to demonstrate a remarkable lack of knowledge regarding the retail nursery industry in general.

Your garden is obviously stunning and your plant knowledge impressive, but your understanding of the professional aspects of horticulture leave a lot to be desired. Stick to the plants, ratgirl. It's what you know best.

No group hug necessary this evening, Tom :-)

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam

I thought it was refreshing to see a criticism of "organic" hoakum for a change, instead of the usual manifesto about the evils of Monsanto, Ortho, and Scotts. Ratgirl moves up a notch or two in my opinion -- not that my opinion is worth much...

Just be very careful and somewhat skeptical when the experts giving an opinion about something are the same folks trying to sell it to you.

As seen on TV, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Evils being all relative, toxic chemicals promoted by industry are apt to be far worse than "organic" options. But anyone who seriously believes anything labeled "organic" is automatically good is going to make a lot of bad choices.

Again, to quote horticulturist Dr Chalker-Scott of the University of Washington, "In the peer-reviewed literature...field-tested compost tea reported no difference in disease control between compost tea & water."

That's the fact of it! If YOU as a vendor of this stuff never promoted it for disease control, but only as an organic fertilizer rather less predictable & inferior to mulching with compost, then good on you, you'd be the only one. That your angry commentary on my having negated anything postive I've ever only almost done is very amusing, especially as I posted only what could be gleaned from the actual science. If I was selling it at work as you've done, I might feel more disposed to disbelieving the science & preferring vendors' sales pitches. I won't go so far as you have gone & suggest all the good you've done is now no longer any good because you are also in favor of a fraud. I will say that when you decide to be wrong, you can are quite often VERY wrong.

Because the uninvested, peer-reviewed science just isn't with you on this. There are a few positive studies for which outcomes could not be duplicated or which though positive still were inferior to topcoating composts & other practices. For pathogens, control studies comparing compost teas to plain waters tend to find them identical in effect. For impact on microorganisms, the effects are slight & temporary & even when effective, inferior to compost mulching.

Thousands of COMMERCIALLY motivated enterprises, including your vaunted nursery trade, are saying LOTS of stuff that is outright false about the values of teas. They exaggerate what is actually good, they trump up scientifically unproven additional good, & they leave out useful information on what is negative & needs to be taken into consideration before selecting this option. Nursery interests have allowed themselves to be convinced of many falsehoods in order to retain some self-respect while duping others as they have been duped. But as the science IS accessible, this self-deception that preceeds duping others is not a very good excuse for what is ultimately dishonest & self-serving foremost, helpful to gardeners as a distant third.

Pop-articles in journals that sell advertising to vendors praise it. Nurseries that sell it praise it. Thousands of amateur & commercial websites & bulletin board posts praise it. Alas for all these, the peer-reviewed science looks for evidence & finds it by & large lacking. Sadly for the gardening public, science ends up in journals read only by other scientists, & pop bullshit is all most people tend to see. Falsehoods begin to look true by weight of repetition -- but the fewer ctual field studies conducted with controls do still trump the thousands of promotionals & personal testimonies that deny the science.

It's a fertilizer sure & can be as good as other fertilizers. But effects on pathogens turn out to be roughly equivalent to regular watering -- & very good in preventing pathogens on THAT level. The slow chemical action REQUIRED by both plants & microorganisms are achieved with topcoatings of composts & natural leafmold, not by dousings with teas. The desire for short-cut repairs that work instantly is threatening to watersheds; the teas not retained in soils for long periods of time. You seem even to dismiss such patently false assertions as teas functioning as pesticides when they do not, including beneficial nematodes which in reality are not credibly a part of the nursery preparations, stopping pathogens when they in reality do so mainly at the level of proper watering, or repairing anearobic soil problems which teas in no way do even to the slightest degree. Yet these are standard claims despite that they are completely baseless.

I don't dismiss that it is a liquid fertilizer which IF properly produced at the correct temperatures & without chlorinated water & used very quickly has microorganisms in it. I do maintain that better & more lasting results can be had by other methods, particularly with organic topcoatings & proper watering. Multiple peer-reviewed studies show that the teas leach out of soils too rapidly to be of more than transient benifit, & find their way into watersheds as would not occur with compost topcoatings.

There are two overviews by Chalker-Scott which compare the pop beliefs & promotional claims versus the peer-reviewed science. And your attitude complete with your catchy advertising jargon like "decanting a brew" when describing dumping some manure-water out of plastic milk jug -- just don't hold up as all that truthful or real. You represent the vested interests of the nursery trade & so favor vendor-generated beliefs & editorializings over the science, holding on to profitable delusions. Chalker-Scott herself is an organics advocate -- like myself she has found ways of maintaining the fertility of her soils without much fertilizer at all (though she uses some bone meal & I will not dump rendering-plant products in my garden), & is an activist against commercial pesticides, always advocating natural alternatives (but alarmed when she sees vendors claiming compost teas are one of the pesticide alternatives).

Certainly she is not invested in savaging a profitable fad on the basis of it being a good idea she wants to ruin for no reason at all. Compost tea is a mediocre-to-good idea with some positives & some equally real negatives & a vast number of completely false claims for it that the science does not substantiate. That's what she has stated in the context of the extant science; it's what I find vastly more creditable than your vendor-perspective that Paghat is a menace to gardening for dissing a profitable product.

Besides her two overviews of the actual field-tested, peer-reviewed, & published science world-wide (such as does not find compost teas the end-all vendors claim), she has also been involved in original studies at the University Arboretum testing compost tea against controls measuring the incidents of pathogens -- & found compost tea sometimes useful for a few things though never superior to surface composting, frequently inferior to surface composting, & for fungal pathogens no more beneficial than plain water (which is beneficial). She also outlines the reasons for how each batch has radically different mixes of microorganisms so that fully controlled studies are difficult, outcomes uneven, findings unduplicable -- so when vendors promise specific outcomes & values & specific values for various "brews" they are in essence promising that which is a practical impossibility.

The main thing I keep in mind is that comparative studies found that microorganism activity is best sustained by mulching with compost & proper watering, or even mulching with leaf-fall, & compost teas do not equal these other practices in effectiveness for sustaining a healthful microorganism population & correct level of nitrogen.

So yes, absolutely, I do placed the field studies of uninvested horticultural stations heads & tails above the vested interests of vendors. This is potentially a cash cow, turning cowshit into dollars, & it's going to be very hard on the industry to let go of the big lie that compost is an intermediary product on the way to being tea, that teas brewed by nurseries are worth blowing one's money on to get something better than can be made at home for free,

There are ten ways of doing most things in a garden. Teas have a place in the larger canon, but a place rather less vaunted than vendors require. If people continue to be flimflammed into believing its as great as you, a vendor, want them to believe, then its more limited but real value is diminished by overuse for all the wrong reasons.

For Chalker-Scott the "bottom line" was this: Be reluctant to add chemicals to your garden even if they are "organic," including compost tea. No one really expects the nursery trade to be quite that honest & tell people to "Go home & think about it, you probably don't actually need what we're selling." But consumers had damn well better be aware before hand that what they tell you -- that it retards pathogens, is an organic pesticide, & all the others extravagant fibbery, "You definitely need our product" is just one more thing that ain't necessarily so.

Would I ever use compost tea? I have made it, I have used, I will do so again. But only for what it has been found actually to POSSIBLY benefit. I have a few still-ungardened areas that I never water because there's nothing I've planted in those areas, the soil is compacted & poor. Someday I will enrich the soils, I might "blast" it with a heavy shot of microorganisms in a homemade aerated tea that'll cost me exactly zero pennies. But once the soil is charged I will expect good management to sustain the micororganisms without further need of teas, using instead the better maintanance of mulched composts & regular watering. If nurseries only sold this stuff for what it was useful for, they wouldn't even bother because they wouldn't be able to sell enough to pay for the time. And they'd end up telling people who might REALLY benefit from it how to do it easily & without cost.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat