help with a sick tree

Hi all
I wonder if anyone can help, my father in law has a really crackin tree at the bottom of his garden. Besides not knowing what it is (help again) it has acquired a fungu type growth on it, the trunk looks ok. I have put some pictures on my website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whytony /
just go to the site, join the group, and look in the pictures folder click on them to enlarge, any help would be much appreciated
-- whytony
I can't see a fungus from the pictures. Is the fungus on the trunk? what does it look like?
whytony wrote:

Could it have been hit by lighting? Elaine