Help! Tomatoes under attack!

Just in the past couple of days I've gone out to the garden and discovered a rash of half-eaten tomatoes: so far it's been mainly plum and cherry, but one of lower hanging Black Krim (two thirds of the lobes still green, but the others ripe) has also been gnawed upon.

I've few problems in years previous; usually just a few half-eaten super sweets.

All of the nibbled-on fruits remained still on the vine, some rather high off the ground.

I suspect chipmunks are responsible for the lower nibbling, but don't see how they could ascend to the much higher cherries. So maybe birds are eating these?

Anyone have any other ideas about possible culprits? I live in a city located in Central Wisconsin, very close to a river -- but in a highly urbanized downtown area.

Any strategies about how I can prevent further pilfering other than sitting out in the garden with a shotgun?

Just when I was beginning to get my first full rush of ripe tomatoes, too.

viv

Reply to
vivian

Birds I've seen attack mine before were mockingbird and bluejays...rodents I know of bothering tomatoes are squirrels, roof rats, mice.

For birds, netting probably will work well enough...for rats/mice bait stations near the plant MAY help, though they may just by-pass the bait to go to the fruit, squirrels, removal of the animal would be needed.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Groundhogs could be another suspect. Get a Hav-a-hart trap and bait with peanut butter. Local laws may govern trap and release. It always irritates ng's when I tell them I release animals to more affluent neighborhoods ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

I just found one of our dogs helping herself to the cherry tomatoes... arrrgghhh.

Reply to
dr-solo

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote in news:46ba1667$0$1347 $ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com:

Ah, bless her heart. She probably loves them as much as anyone else in the house. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

yeah.. so the squirrels got all the Asian pears and she taught the other dogs to get the tomatoes... double argh. at least the figs are high and no beasties have found them YET. Ingrid

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:31:23 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
dr-solo