Help to pick 3 tomatoes in container

Greeting to all tomato growers.

I have a good balcony, in Northern California, pretty good sunlight. I am going to grow some tomatoes and herbs in container.

AND I NEED YOUR HELP!

1) I am limited to Maximum 5 Gallon containers.

2) I am planning to plant several types, but I rellay love the real tomato flavor, not too sweet, a little acidic and tangy falvor. and I need your help to choose the varieties. high yeild is very desirable.

3) what varieties should I choose to have tomatoes from early to late season.

4) Is it late to start now? should I buy plants or seeds?

5) Can I also grow herbs in the same containers? what kind?

6) is plastic container OK?

A bunch of thanks in advance.

Tomato Lover.

Reply to
tomato lover

take it from me, PLEASE!!!! if you're gonna plant regular sized tomato plants, ONLY ONE TO THE BOX!!!!!; if you['re gonna plant cherry tomatoes (grape, romano..whatever, the smaller sized tomatoes) ONLY TWO TO A BOX!! i hope you're going to get those boxes with the wicks which "self-water" themselves....for a few days, anyway from gardens alive!

if you DO plant more than that, you will run out of soil and the tomatoes will be prone to more diseases than usual.

imho, you should start with PLANTS, not seeds. seed starting is for us northern folk who hope to have red and/or edible tomatoes by september!! i'm in usda zone 4a, myself and i've learned A LOT of green mater recipes!!! ;o)

don't fertilise too often AND VERY IMPORTANTLY!!!! if you smoke or have friends who smoke, MAKE SURE YOU WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE TOMATO PLANTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
SKYlark

Hi SKYlark,

Thanks for your advice. Is it okay to plant them in plastic containers. I am going to plant each one in one container. how big sould be the container.

Thanks.

SKYlark wrote:

tomatoes

"self-water"

september!!

sunlight. I

desirable.

Reply to
tomato lover

That is what I use, and seems exactly the right size (for *one* plant per container.)

Tomato plants can get big - I have one which, including container, is taller than me.

And, speaking of size, be prepared to use supports. I have 1.5 metre (about 1.5 yard) long bamboo stakes. One in the middle, next to the main plant vine, and three around the edges of the containers. Tied together near the top for a sort of tripod. As the plant grows, use string to tie loops loosely holding the vines towards the stakes. That keeps the plant going up, instead of sideways.

My experience is limited, although I can say that this year, I have nice results with "moneymaker" variety. Mild by my taste. I am sure that other folks here have more detailed suggestions.

Now is fine. I strongly suggest buying actual plants. Depending upon the weather, you might want to keep them indoors until perhaps early April.

I would just have only one tomato plant alone in that container. Herb choice just depends on what you like. I currently have basil and chives.

Plastic is just fine. I use plastic buckets, and drill

10-15 drainage holes in the bottom. Good drainage is very important - tomatoes want frequent watering, but they do *not* like to actually stand in water.

Hope this helps, in advance :)

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

I never had much success with tomatoes in plastic pots. I don't know if it was the way the soil dried-out faster than with terra cotta, or if it had something to do with the way terra cotta hold it's temperature more evenly than the plastic.

I'm just glad to have moved out of apartments, and bought a house so I can put my tomatoes in the ground!

Reply to
Warren

I grow my tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets, one plant per bucket. As the plants grow they use a suprising amount of water so be prepared to water every day.

Reply to
Toni

Plastic containers are fine. Size depends on the variety of tomato grown.

Marv-Montezuma,IA

VMWOOD