Help! Squirrel Problem

I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've pillaged through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive tree, leaving a trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This is a daily remninder that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a way to get rid of them?

I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe yet, I want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen. HELP!!

Reply to
drumbago

Trap them in a Havahart trap (using peanut butter on crackers as bait). Take them far away and release them. Other squirrels will move into the area, but maybe this will buy you enough time for the nuts to mature.

I'd suggest wrapping the tree in pest netting, but that might be quite a chore for nothing. The stuff does a nice job keeping birds away from fruit, but squirrels are more determined, and might chew a hole in the netting.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

1) Offer them an alternate and better food source -- a feeder full of peanuts/corn. 2) Try to trap them. 3) Chainsaw your trees. 4) Buy a 12-gauge shotgun.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Bullshit. Then you'll have flying squirrels. Where do you get these ridiculous ideas?

:-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you're not squeamish fill a bucket with water, throw a handful of sunflower seeds in (they float), lean a board up against the bucket. They will walk the plank, try to eat the sunflower seeds and that's the last thing they will do

Reply to
CHEX

Get a cat(s) and give them a way to stalk invisibly into the squirrel zone.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

If a cat tangles with a squirrel once, it usually won't do it again.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Not many cats hangin' around your place eh?

Reply to
G Henslee

LOL. Do you have wimpy cats or *really* mean squirrels?

When I was growing up, every outdoors cat we ever owned hunted squirrels regularly - and caught them from time to time. Some they'd eat, some they'd leave just outside the side door as "presents" for Mom. :-)

It was really funny when a squirrel would get away - it would cling to the side of a tree, just out of reach, and lash its tail and chatter at the cat - just like it was taunting the cat. It seemed to work, too, since the kitty involved always looked mad enough to spit nails afterwards. Ever since, I've always imagined that cats feel particularly satisfied whenever they kill a squirrel.

Reply to
Laura

Just give them a moose, then both the moose and squirrel will go looking for Boris and Natasha! No more squirrel problem!

Reply to
glenon

Hey...maybe I'm wrong! But, I had 2-3 nasty-ass cats around my property for a few years. One would take on large dogs, raccoons, cats twice its size, and always emerge unscathed. But, it went a few rounds with a squirrel once, and came out bloodied. My own cat would tangle with almost anyone (or anything), and SHE got swiped once by a squirrel. Those lawn rats have a lot of claws.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Our neighbors have two four pound Yorkshire Terriers that consider any squirrel coming into their fenced back yard an invaders. The other day I was outside and heard a ruckus in their yard, including a bit of barking. When I walked over, the Yorkies were playing tug of war with a squirrel. Finally the stronger of the two pulled it away from the weaker and went trotting up to the back door, dropped the squirrel, and started barking. You wouldn't believe the ecstacy they went into when they received some praise from their owner. ;-0

JPS

Reply to
B & J

snipped OP for brevity

Really mean squirrels it is, then! :-)

Reply to
Laura

City squirrels. Too much noise and competition. It turns them into gangstas.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Learn how to quote you idiot. I didn't write that.

Reply to
G Henslee

We used to have squirrel problems in my neighborhood. Me and a couple of neighbors bought .177 caliber air rifles and declared open season on the varmints. We had lots of fun, and we don't have squirrel problems anymore..........

Reply to
RWLSN

You may not have written it but it's typical of your useless, chicken shit anonymous drivel

PLONK

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

What makes your useless drivel any better Shit-ewski. Regardless, your sister is still your mother and that's not going to change. At least not until your grandfather divorces her. Pfft...

Reply to
G Henslee

What makes your useless drivel any better Shit-ewski. Regardless, your sister is still your mother and that's not going to change. At least not until your grandfather divorces her. Pfft..

Reply to
rod