Help! Squirrel Problem

Page 1 of 2
I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've pillaged through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive tree, leaving a trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This is a daily remninder that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a way to get rid of them?
I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe yet, I want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen. HELP!!

Trap them in a Havahart trap (using peanut butter on crackers as bait). Take them far away and release them. Other squirrels will move into the area, but maybe this will buy you enough time for the nuts to mature.
I'd suggest wrapping the tree in pest netting, but that might be quite a chore for nothing. The stuff does a nice job keeping birds away from fruit, but squirrels are more determined, and might chew a hole in the netting.
Trap and release squirrels??? Amazing Dog...I mean Doug hasn't suggested shooting or poisoning them like he would with dogs and cats! I guess he likes it when they eat his nuts!
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:05:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

drumbago wrote:

1) Offer them an alternate and better food source -- a feeder full of peanuts/corn.
2) Try to trap them.
3) Chainsaw your trees.
4) Buy a 12-gauge shotgun.
Patrick
Feed them red dye hummingbird nectar. That'll do it. Perry

Bullshit. Then you'll have flying squirrels. Where do you get these ridiculous ideas?
:-)

Get a cat(s) and give them a way to stalk invisibly into the squirrel zone.

If a cat tangles with a squirrel once, it usually won't do it again.
Squirrely Doug Kanter wrote:

Not many cats hangin' around your place eh?

squirrel coming into their fenced back yard an invaders. The other day I was outside and heard a ruckus in their yard, including a bit of barking. When I walked over, the Yorkies were playing tug of war with a squirrel. Finally the stronger of the two pulled it away from the weaker and went trotting up to the back door, dropped the squirrel, and started barking. You wouldn't believe the ecstacy they went into when they received some praise from their owner. ;-0
JPS
B & J wrote:

Learn how to quote you idiot. I didn't write that.

You may not have written it but it's typical of your useless, chicken shit anonymous drivel
PLONK
Tom Jaszewski wrote:

What makes your useless drivel any better Shit-ewski. Regardless, your sister is still your mother and that's not going to change. At least not until your grandfather divorces her. Pfft...
Tom Jaszewski wrote:

What makes your useless drivel any better Shit-ewski. Regardless, your sister is still your mother and that's not going to change. At least not until your grandfather divorces her. Pfft..

LOL. Do you have wimpy cats or *really* mean squirrels?
When I was growing up, every outdoors cat we ever owned hunted squirrels regularly - and caught them from time to time. Some they'd eat, some they'd leave just outside the side door as "presents" for Mom. :-)
It was really funny when a squirrel would get away - it would cling to the side of a tree, just out of reach, and lash its tail and chatter at the cat - just like it was taunting the cat. It seemed to work, too, since the kitty involved always looked mad enough to spit nails afterwards. Ever since, I've always imagined that cats feel particularly satisfied whenever they kill a squirrel.
Just give them a moose, then both the moose and squirrel will go looking for Boris and Natasha! No more squirrel problem!
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Hey...maybe I'm wrong! But, I had 2-3 nasty-ass cats around my property for a few years. One would take on large dogs, raccoons, cats twice its size, and always emerge unscathed. But, it went a few rounds with a squirrel once, and came out bloodied. My own cat would tangle with almost anyone (or anything), and SHE got swiped once by a squirrel. Those lawn rats have a lot of claws.

City squirrels. Too much noise and competition. It turns them into gangstas.
If you're not squeamish fill a bucket with water, throw a handful of sunflower seeds in (they float), lean a board up against the bucket. They will walk the plank, try to eat the sunflower seeds and that's the last thing they will do