Help solve our garden mystery and win.....

Page 2 of 2
I've caught raccoons in my yard at 2 and 3 am, digging through the compost pile in my backyard... sounds like the same thing you are seeing. Just get a young puppy that needs to be walked in the middle of the night and you'll catch the culprits in no time! ;)

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I think it's squirrels, and it's not really at night but very early in the morning.
Bob

They have dug in our potted plants. Hot pepper sprinkled around would make them go away, that is what is put in some bird seed. Permatill works but not 100%. I have used chicken wire but it is a pita to cut a hole for each plant. Then you cover it with just enough soil that it can't be seen. They get the hint and go find something easier to dig in.
If it was a bigger animal you would see some footprints.
I have seen crows pull up newly sprouted corn because they wanted the rest of the kernel and left the green plant. This means you have planted to shallow. planting deeper or pulling dirt around the plants generally helps. Crows are smart and if they pull up a few and the kernel does not come with it they go find an easier meal.

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
My guess would be squirrels, either trying to bury nuts or trying to find nuts previously buried.
It might be the *mulch* that is desirable -- you might try raking away the mulch from a section of the bed and see what effect that has, if any.
Another possibility is a cat, but I would think if it were using the mulch as a litterbox, you would have found some evidence.
Anne Lurie NE Raleigh

My guess is it may be an opposum. They like to eat grubs and would be likely to be a nighttime visitor with results like you describe. Probably once they eat all the grubs they will move on to someplace else.
Anne Lurie wrote:

We get a similar result and it's from Blackbirds.
Cheers
Rissin
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Wrote:

-- rissin