Help, please

I am presently engaged in a silly argument.
The question is: Is sauerkraut a vegetable? I would appreciate any learned opinions.
Thanks !!!!!!
-- Luckyslim
Luckyslim wrote:

Sauerkraut is a dish made with cabbage. Cabbage is a vegetable.
If you define a vegetable as a something you can grow, you can't grow sauerkraut. (You can grow cabbage to make sauerkraut, however.)
If you define a vegetable as a type of food, sauerkraut is a vegetable as much as sausage is a meat, or bread is a grain.
--
Warren H.

In fact it's made of shreaded cabbage that's put in and aged in a barrel, not sure if it's saltwater or something else, but when I was in Germany, the eating places outside of town would have a fresh barrel just outside the door and they'd get it from there for the orders of it and it was good too!
-- The Lone Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond Telescope Buyers FAQ http://home.inreach.com/starlord

yes. cabbage is salted as it is pressed down into a crock. a cover put down into the crock to hold the cabbage below the level of the juice (weighted down). it "works" itself over a week or more. but my Grma used to clean the scum that forms every couple of days. http://waltonfeed.com/old/sauer.html Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold / WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE