Help on killing multiflora rose

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and combinations there of -
HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting a cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).
Cheryl

"Cheryl Isaak"wrote:

Placing a stone over the a rose bush stump will only encourage wider growth. Dig around the stump as deeply as is practical for your abilities or get someone to help dig and pull out the stump and/or lop off as much of the root system as you can. If this rose bush has been growing from a seedling only a couple three years (which is what I suspect if you say you haven't noticed it) it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to totally remove it with a garden spade, especially now that you already cut it to the ground... why didn't you simply continue and dig it up, probably less labor than hauling a cement block. Dig it up right away because now that you've cut it to the ground it will make a concerted effort to live by enlarging its root system. Were it me I'd move it to a better location... wild rose makes excellent wildlife habitat, small song birds love to nest amongst all those thorns.

not multiflora rose, which is an invasive species. but then, you're the one who thinks your multiflora rose is a rugosa... lee
On 8/23/09 12:59 PM, in article Xns9C708418325CAenigmaevilnet@199.125.85.9,

Thank you Lee - have you had problems with it too? I've heard that it is getting to be more of a pest than it had been in NH
Cheryl

i have a big one on the rt 43 side of my pond, & i'm constantly pulling little ones in the pasture. the big one shrunk quite a bit after the flooding, so maybe they dislike really wet feet? lee
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:38:44 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl, you have my condolences, it is a big pain for sure.
Here is a pretty good article, may give you some ideas on how to proceed:
http://www.se-eppc.org/manual/multirose.html
My Mom remembers when it was being promoted as a "living fence" in this area. Didn't work out so well in the long run...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thank you Leon. That does look helpful. A friend with one in a worse spot calls it bush from hell. Her DH attacked it a chainsaw and poured Roundup on the "stumps". No go - more canes than ever.
Cheryl
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:03:31 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

They may have killed the original problem, but if it produced seeds for a year two... As the article I linked to mentions, "A medium-sized bush is capable of producing 500,000 to 1,000,000 seeds." and "Seeds may remain viable in the soil for 10-20 years."
We have quite a few on our ~36 acres, the birds like them and well, you know how that goes :) I've noticed how they and the Autumn Olives tend to pop up more frequently underneath the power lines, where the birds tend to perch.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Which is how I suspect I got them....

It's only those who live on puny city lots or live in a furnished room in a tenement building who think wild rose is a nuisance plant... it's folks who have a few acres who appreciate wild rose as excellent wildlife habitat. And it's extremely easy to keep wild rose, or any prolific plant, under control with loppers and mowers... of course those who live in a furnished room wouldn't have a clue.

ya think? seems several states & the Feds disagree with you: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ROMU
http://www.ipcnys.org / http://www.nysgextension.org/glhabitat/epacd/pages/plants/invasives.h tm not listed as noxious in NY, but it's on the invasives watch list. lee
On 8/25/09 7:36 PM, in article Xns9C72C76D56096enigmaevilnet@199.125.85.9,

I think NH has added it to the invasive list or is about too. It can be like kudzu up here.
Cheryl

Down here in south Texas we have the McCartney rose version. Some lady wanted to plant some in her yard and she called into a gardenline type radio program. She asked how she should plant it and the host said "lady, just throw some seeds out on the ground and run like hell". That's about as true a statement as I've heard on this stuff.
wrote: >> ya think? seems several states & the Feds disagree with you:

yes, it's on the banned invasives list in NH now. this summer's invasive removal project here has mostly been Oriental bittersweet vines. last year was all the damned Norway maples... i'm still finding crossbreeds though. i doubt most people would fuss about the crossbreeds, but you don't get any usable sap out of one. :) lee
On 8/26/09 9:36 AM, in article Xns9C7361B58FAE0enigmaevilnet@199.125.85.9,

Wonder what the state is doing about it - I heard something about a big "get the purple loosestrife" campaign, but with other crap going on, I didn't really get a chance to follow it or get involved.

Deer won't even eat it. Multiflora rose is about the only greenery left on the floor of the woods behind my house (Randallstown, MD.) And Maryland does list it as non-native invasive, last I heard.
Alan

On 9/5/09 11:50 AM, in article 4aa2895d$1$nqubsgap$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, " snipped-for-privacy@junk.min.net"

Just found some more for me to prune to the ground and paint with Round Up. C