Help on killing multiflora rose

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and combinations there of -

HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting a cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

brooklyn1

Placing a stone over the a rose bush stump will only encourage wider growth. Dig around the stump as deeply as is practical for your abilities or get someone to help dig and pull out the stump and/or lop off as much of the root system as you can. If this rose bush has been growing from a seedling only a couple three years (which is what I suspect if you say you haven't noticed it) it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to totally remove it with a garden spade, especially now that you already cut it to the ground... why didn't you simply continue and dig it up, probably less labor than hauling a cement block. Dig it up right away because now that you've cut it to the ground it will make a concerted effort to live by enlarging its root system. Were it me I'd move it to a better location... wild rose makes excellent wildlife habitat, small song birds love to nest amongst all those thorns.

Reply to
brooklyn1

"brooklyn1" wrote in news:eLdkm.506$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

not multiflora rose, which is an invasive species. but then, you're the one who thinks your multiflora rose is a rugosa... lee

Reply to
enigma

Thank you Lee - have you had problems with it too? I've heard that it is getting to be more of a pest than it had been in NH

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl, you have my condolences, it is a big pain for sure.

Here is a pretty good article, may give you some ideas on how to proceed:

Mom remembers when it was being promoted as a "living fence" in this area. Didn't work out so well in the long run...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C6B75CD6.9F980% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

i have a big one on the rt 43 side of my pond, & i'm constantly pulling little ones in the pasture. the big one shrunk quite a bit after the flooding, so maybe they dislike really wet feet? lee

Reply to
enigma

Thank you Leon. That does look helpful. A friend with one in a worse spot calls it bush from hell. Her DH attacked it a chainsaw and poured Roundup on the "stumps". No go - more canes than ever.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

They may have killed the original problem, but if it produced seeds for a year two... As the article I linked to mentions, "A medium-sized bush is capable of producing

500,000 to 1,000,000 seeds." and "Seeds may remain viable in the soil for 10-20 years."

We have quite a few on our ~36 acres, the birds like them and well, you know how that goes :) I've noticed how they and the Autumn Olives tend to pop up more frequently underneath the power lines, where the birds tend to perch.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Which is how I suspect I got them....

Cheryl Isaak

It's only those who live on puny city lots or live in a furnished room in a tenement building who think wild rose is a nuisance plant... it's folks who have a few acres who appreciate wild rose as excellent wildlife habitat. And it's extremely easy to keep wild rose, or any prolific plant, under control with loppers and mowers... of course those who live in a furnished room wouldn't have a clue.

Reply to
brooklyn1

"brooklyn1" wrote in news:9WZkm.858$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

ya think? seems several states & the Feds disagree with you:

listed as noxious in NY, but it's on the invasives watch list. lee

Reply to
enigma

I think NH has added it to the invasive list or is about too. It can be like kudzu up here.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Down here in south Texas we have the McCartney rose version. Some lady wanted to plant some in her yard and she called into a gardenline type radio program. She asked how she should plant it and the host said "lady, just throw some seeds out on the ground and run like hell". That's about as true a statement as I've heard on this stuff.

Reply to
JC

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C6BA9527.9FB9B% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

yes, it's on the banned invasives list in NH now. this summer's invasive removal project here has mostly been Oriental bittersweet vines. last year was all the damned Norway maples... i'm still finding crossbreeds though. i doubt most people would fuss about the crossbreeds, but you don't get any usable sap out of one. :) lee

Reply to
enigma

Wonder what the state is doing about it - I heard something about a big "get the purple loosestrife" campaign, but with other crap going on, I didn't really get a chance to follow it or get involved.

Cheryl Isaak

Deer won't even eat it. Multiflora rose is about the only greenery left on the floor of the woods behind my house (Randallstown, MD.) And Maryland does list it as non-native invasive, last I heard.

Alan

Reply to
nobody

Just found some more for me to prune to the ground and paint with Round Up. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak