help on IDing cactus seed

hi folks,

i got 2 packets of mixed cactus seed, labelled as mixed seed. i wonder if anyone could provide me with some pointers on how to ID them.

both packets were from different brands but they contain the same three types. i take this as that either they are the 3 most common or cheapest seeds or that they are the threee most easy to grow.

-one type looks like a small shrivelled pea.

-the other is small, black and shiny and bean shaped. reminds me of a flea without legs

-the other is similar in shape and colour but much larger.about 5mm long

Any idea what they are? Thanks

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

You are asking the same freaking question on rec.gardens, sci.bio.botany, uk.rec.gardening and who knows where else but it doesn't matter where you post it because the answers will still be the same. You can't ID Cactaceae from the seeds alone. Next time don't buy Cactaceae as mixed seed because you are getting a pig in a poke and you shouldn't expect anything choice to come from them. Expect to get plants of the junk species or unidentifiable garden hybrids.

*************************

Cactaceae are extremely variable in seed form but it is very difficult to identify species by the seeds because species in different genera can have similar looking seeds.

Grow plants from the seeds. Wait until they bloom and then you can have them identified.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

"Cereus-validus" wrote in news:UCUic.31$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

most computer weenies call that multi-posting (posting seperately to multiple newsgroups).

Crossposting = posting one message to multiple newgroups by specifing multiple groups in the newsgroup line

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Okay then,

Sam, you are one multi-posting maniac.

We can forget about Sam's original question and now quibble over computer weenie lingo!!!

Are you happy now, Salty?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Salty Thumb expounded:

Did you happen to notice the groups this was *cross* posted to? (not this reply, I'm sticking to rec.gardens). It was crossposted to rec.gardens, sci.bio.botany and uk.rec.gardening.

Reply to
Ann

"Cereus-validus" wrote in news:Vi_ic.7$JA1.5 @newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

yay! but I rather quibble over whether Sam is actually a maniac or only marginally perturbed.

Let's ask him what is the better substitute for water, hydrofluoric acid or ammonia.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Ann wrote in news:f6es801ra8eo68bk5jqdtkhqe03b5mkt5t@

4ax.com:

The originating message for this particular thread (going by the References: header),

Newsgroups: rec.gardens Message-ID:

was posted to rec.gardens only.

I took Cereoid's word for it that the message was also posted seperately (multi-posted) to the groups (sci.bio.botany, uk.rec.gardening) he added in his crossposted reply.

Newsgroups: rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,uk.rec.gardening Message-ID:

but here is the message-id for the identical seperately posted sci.bio.botany message anyway,

Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany Message-ID:

which has an additional different reply from Cereoid. (The crossposted reply may or may not also show up depending on several factors, including whether you have kill xpost activated and how your newsreader threads articles).

Ergo, the original message was multi-posted.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

You're dreaming, babe.

There are many species in several different genera that have similar looking seedlings.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Salty Thumb expounded:

Ah, yes, I see that now. Cereoid crossposted because of the multiposting. Sorry, took a bit!

Reply to
Ann