Help needed on my 1st tree (giant sequoia)

Hi, I have a giant sequoia, approx. 17 in tall (43 cm). That is from the ground up, not including the roots. Currently it is in a pot. My question is, how big should the pot be?
Thank you for any help, Fanta
Your looking at a tree that gets aweful BIG, I'm talking up to 100ft, pot? Rose bowl sized.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

I have one which is now about 20 inches tall. It was about 12 inches tall when I bought it 2 years ago. So in my climate at least, it grows slowly. Mine is in the ground - but it was in an 8 inch pot when I bought it.

Man, I am not looking for a place suitable for the next 1500 years ot so. Just a pot for the next year or two :)
Fanta

From the site posted earlier: In the best plantations, giant sequoia averaged 0.5 to 0.7 m (1.6 to 2.3 ft) per year in height growth, and 1.3 to 2.0 cm (0.5 to 0.8 in) in diameter growth per year (9).
and
Rooting Habit- During the first few years, the root system of giant sequoia seedlings consists of a taproot with few laterals-a habit that facilitates survival during dry summers (36). The ratio of root length to shoot height during this period is about 2 to 2.5, with drier sites having higher ratios (17). After 6 to 8 years, lateral root growth predominates, and elongation of the taproot practically stops (36).
You give the height to be about 43 cm, so if you go by the above, the tree is about a year old and the proper depth for the current pot should be around say 100 cm or 40". Calculations for 2 additional years of growth are left as an exercise for the reader.
In other words, start shopping for pots, learn bonsai, or tranplant the sapling to a non-potbound location.
-- Salty

scratch that ... the ratio is 2 to 2.5, not 2-2.5 to 1. So the current depth should be around 34 cm or a little over a foot.

-- Salty
Try a half a wine barrel size to start with. That might last for 3-4 years. That would be about 3 1/2 foot across and 2 1/2 foot deep.