Help me pick a tree?

Hello all, :)
I'd like an evergreen for the backyard.
Conditions: Climate: Los Angeles Soil: Clayish Sun: Full Area: Middle of the back lawn
Desires: Evergreen 12'- 25' high when fully mature Canopy Fast growing Low litter
I bought two Tipu trees today b/c they looked so pretty but I got home and looked them up and discovered they get huge and cause a mess. I'm taking them back tomorrow. Think I'd be better off sticking with smaller trees that won't flower. Any help would be appreciated. I'm considering African Sumac. Comments??
TIA! Jett
Jett,
Why not consult with the personnel at the place you bought the tree from? Since they are in the business, they "should" be most knowledgeable.
Good luck.
Lynn

Thanks, but I don't like to rely on one source of info. IAC I decided to keep the tipu's and just have my gardner make sure they stay trimmed to keep them from getting out of hand. The leaves are just so pretty!
Jett
I'm partial to magnolia grandifloras. The main species is a large tree 80 ft. but Sunset garden guide lists several cultivars that are much shorter, yet still spreading - among them 'samuel sommer' 'san marino' 'st. mary' and 'victoria'. The leaves must be picked up when they fall - they are like plastic, and do not decay for seemingly forever. They don't fall at a fast rate, nor at any one season of the year, so they are easy to pick up on a casual jaunt through the yard. However, that is a small price to pay for such beautiful glossy foliage and big fragrant flowers.