Help me identify this Willow

I saw a tree/shrub(?) at Costco of all places and on the pot all it had was a sticker that said "Willow" and a UPC code. I was taken by its appearance, but before I buy I'd sure like to know a little about it because it didn't look like any willow I've ever seen. It looked like a very narrow fountain spray form emanating from a central trunk. The leaves looked like the flowers on a Witch Hazel. They were grouped in little tuffs every six inches or so.

I have a spot I'm looking to put a large shrub or small tree that will eventually grow to maybe 7' to 15' tall between my porch and the wall of my garage and right in front of my house. I'm wondering if this will fit the bill? I'm aware of the reputation of willows being foundation breakers, but if this is something which doesn't have invasive roots I'd like to try it. By-the-way, my porch is fairly short, it is about 8' from the garage, and the house faces east, here in zone 5 (Detroit).

Thanks in advance, Craig

Reply to
CraigT

Could be a variety of pussy willow. If a weeping willow tree don't expect to contain it in a small space, those typically get huge fast... pussy willows can easily and rapidly attain a 15' X 15' clump. Planting any willow near a foundation or undergound water pipes is a huge mistake. I'd not buy a willow without knowing exactly what it is nor would I plant one within 200 feet of my house, their roots will find your septic system... in fact I've had my experience with willow trees and pussy willows, never again. Can't you think of something else, how about a nice tame lilac bush, or a pretty redbud tree that would do well in the partial light between buildings.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Yes, I had a few choices in mind before I saw this. And, I assure you I will not plant anything unless I know what I'm planting if for nothing else because I've left the souls of a thousand dead plants in my wake.

Reply to
CraigT