Help identifying flowering vine

Hi, occasional lurker in alt.home.lawn.garden (it's very quiet over there) with something we need help identifying.

We have this really robustly growing vine with a very interesting flower that neither one of us can identify- I posted a picture here:

about the clarity of the photo, I just don't have a macro lens, and this is as good as I could get it.

It is about three inches across the tips of the petals. It's clinging to a rose bush trellis like it owns it. Nature never ceases to amaze me- the little 'arms' the hug its' companion are quite remarkable.

Noticed the flower opens and closes erratically- and only one bud at a time (there are several buds on the vine). My wife tends the garden and notices that if she touches the bud it closes and doesn't reopen for sometime.

Does anyone recognize it? Or perhaps give us clue as to where to find it?

We live in Southern California.

TIA,

Reply to
o1o1o1o1

Passion vine. (Passiflora edulis) HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

Wow, that's an impressively swift response. A quick Google found several examples.

Thanky!

Reply to
o1o1o1o1

It is a passionflower of the genus Passiflora.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat