Help identifying apple tree

I just moved into a house with a couple of apple trees in the yard. The apples are light greenn, approximately golf ball size, and incredibly sour. Too sour to eat off of the tree.
Location is Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Any idea what kind of apples these are?

"The intifada is the Palestinian people's war of national liberation. We
Very hard to determine based on your limited revelations. The size of the apple may be a clue to the possibility that this is a crab apple tree. The only apple I know of that is so small is a Pitmastin Pinneaple, but that one is sweet and russetted.
Sherwin D.
7h3_n3ck snipped-for-privacy@salmahayeksknockers.edu wrote:

Dirr: Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: "If fruit is 2 inches in diameter or less, it is a crabapple. If the fruit is larger than 2 inches, then it is classified as an apple." A golf-ball sized fruit would be a crabapple.
_________________ John Henry Wheeler Washington, DC USDA Zone 7

http://www.memeticcandiru.com
Sounds like a Dolgo crabapple. mine are still greenbut come fall they turn red. Wait for first frost and then harvest, makes for a very nice apple jelly.

Hm... I looked up a few pics, but the dolgo is definitely red, and there's no hint that mine are anything but green.
Thank you for the suggestion, though.

"In later years, the indiginous Arab population rejected the idea, accepted
Hopefully the poison type. Try one. GR

7h3_n3ck snipped-for-privacy@salmahayeksknockers.edu wrote:

I have an apple tree in the back yard that produces small apples which redden in the fall and look like a small macintosh apple. The largest are about the size of a tennis ball. The tree is very productive -- although it is not even ten feet tall I got 20 shopping bags full of apples off it one year. This year it did not produce -- but this is only the third time in twenty years here that it didn't. I don't know the type of tree -- other than 'apple'! I do know it is not a crabapple.
Irv
--
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html
7h3_n3ck snipped-for-privacy@salmahayeksknockers.edu wrote:

I think the bottom line is that the trees are seedlings that just came up on their own. Are the trees growing in a location where they were obviously planted by a human or are they in an odd location along an edge where they might have come from a tossed apple core or seeds dropped by an animal? If they appear to be planted, maybe someone tried growing their own apples from seed or maybe they were store bought trees that had the tops damaged and the root stock sprouted up from below. If you are wanting a variety name, I'm sure there is none. Nobody would name and sell an apple variety with the qualities you described.
Steve
Why don't you take an apple & a small branch with leaves off the tree down to Golden Acre and ask them if they know what kind of tree it is?
Lori

Crabapples aren't ripe until after the first frost - and then its time to make wine.
take care Liz