Help identifying Appalachain Plant

I ran across this plant while hiking around the Appalachain mountans a while ago and I cannot find it's name or a reference to it. It's a "white" plant, moderately translucent, void of noticable pigment. It grows only one stem at a time and the flower resembles a bell hanging on the top of the erect stem. They grew in small clusters. There don't seem to be any leaves on the white stem. It may be a fungus and I'm barking up the wrong tree.... but I seem to remember looking it up in the Audubon guide to wildflowers once... but I can't find it again.
Any help finding a reference to the plant would be most appreciated.
Thanks, -Chuck
Hi Chuck,
Probably Monotropa uniflora, aka Indian Pipe.
See http://www.wellesley.edu/Activities/homepage/web/Species/pindianpipe.html
Dave

It's a fascinating plant called Monotropa uniflora and Indian Pipe. For a photo and basic information including taxonomy see http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/herbs/monotropa.html The linked article 'Ghosts of Summer's Woods' has lots more information.
PLANTS has the US distribution in clickable map form and more images. http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=MOUN3
Indian Pipe has only one close relative, Pinesap. For info and pictures see http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/monotropahypo.html
There's lots more about this plant on the Web. A Google search on the botanical name will turn up almost 5,000 hits.
Happy surfing.